Sunday, November 7, 2021

An Abundant Life - Finding Your Place

Several months ago I was visiting with a friend and we had gone to see an art show at The Oakman in Jersey City. We wanted to go somewhere to have dinner afterward, and it was a very rainy and stormy evening. While we were at the art show it had been hurricane rains and wind, and though the storm had calmed it was still raining and at times seemed like it might become a storm again. There are two restaurants that are not far from The Oakman, one right next door and the other across the street. We thought they could at least be all right to go to because they are always very crowded although that night everything was much quieter because of the rain. We decided on the one across the street, but when we walked up to the door we saw it was closed that night, and so we settled on the other one, a place called O'Hara's. When we went inside it was very cozy and comfortable, and the staff made us feel right at home. We took a table by the bar area and settled in to look at the menu which was very full of delicious sounding options. Our server told us that it was Taco Tuesday, and when I saw the specials I was immediately in the mood to try the Biria Tacos. I love Tacos and they sounded wonderful, and I didn't know until afterward that they have become a bit of a trend.

Although tacos are always a favorite choice, sometimes they're better than others and sometimes not, and sometimes they don't really fill me up. When these arrived they were even better than the description, with rich roasted meat in a group of tacos that were so filled with goodness that I didn't have to even think about ordering anything else and I could have shared them. They came with pickled onions and some very delicious hot sauce, and the tortillas themselves were excellent. I had a feeling that night that there was someone very special in that kitchen who was making food the way they would make it for themselves and their friends.

I've gone back since and had another wonderful meal with another friend and it's become my go to recommendation for anyone who asks me and an excellent choice whenever I'm in that area. The service is always wonderful, the feeling of the place whether sitting outside or inside is so pleasant. It almost feels like I'm not in a city at all, or if I am, that I've found my place in it where I can enjoy an afternoon or evening in a way that feels just right.


Ohara's Downtown
172 First Street
Jersey City, New Jersey







Blessings,

Jannie Susan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment