Sunday, March 7, 2021

An Abundant Life - A Life In Pictures

I had heard of Anthony Haden-Guest years before I met him, and because he is such a well respected and admired Artist and Writer, I didn't think that I'd ever have the opportunity to meet him in any very personal way. Perhaps I might see him at an event, or maybe be in an audience somewhere where he was speaking about something very interesting and in-the-know, but it just didn't seem possible that I'd find myself sitting next to him at a birthday party which is what happened one night in Manhattan. I asked him that night if I could meet with him again for a blog post, and we kept in touch. I visited with him on a few occasions and invited him to a private rooftop event and to a more public gallery opening that I was doing publicity for, invited him out to a few events at Mana Contemporary in Jersey City, and to have dinner at my favorite restaurant to meet my favorite Chef. And every time he arrived I was always so happy. Not only is it an honor to have someone with his prestige and history be a part of the events and dinners I plan, but I like Anthony very much. He has a wonderful sense of humor and also has excellent taste. It's a joy to speak with him and to hear him talk about art and life and the history he has had in New York and around the world. He knows everyone who is anyone, and they all love him. He has been to every gala, every opening, and every memorable party going back to the years when New York had parties that people still talk about. Anthony Haden-Guest is a cultural icon in his own right, who has written about so many people who have changed the course of history and who have given us new ways to look at the world.

In addition to his insightful art and culture critiques and reviews, Anthony Haden-Guest is also a wonderful cartoonist with a list of collectors that overlaps with his large group of friends and colleagues. Recently I had the opportunity to have a conversation with one of the gallerists who is curating an online show of his work. It was Anthony's 84th birthday in January, and they put together a wonderful evening celebration online with guests calling in to talk and artwork and stories being shared. There is so much that Anthony has stored in his treasure trove of memories, and so many wonderful works he has created. It's a beautiful experience to see some of these pieces, and in the process of this show more work is coming to light, like the pieces a recent auction in London of Cristo and Jean Claude's collection that included some of Anthony's cartoons. The last time I saw Anthony I told him I wanted to go shopping in his files. I love his work so much and love him as a person and I want to have a piece or a few of his for my own collection. He's someone who is so special, and who has touched the lives of so many, and it's an honor to know him and have him in my life.


Anthony Haden-Guest
In New York City
With One Of His Marvelous Cartoons
Online On His Birthday On Zoom





Blessings,

Jannie Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment