Sunday, June 6, 2021

An Abundant Life - A Journey Close To Home

A few weeks ago I had a meeting scheduled with a colleague from Rutgers University who is helping to develop a sustainable business model for the Love & Plenty project. She suggested we meet in Jersey City at Uncle Momo, saying that the food was really excellent and that she thought I'd enjoy it. We were meeting for a late lunch on a Sunday afternoon, one of the first really warm summer like days this Spring. I had made a reservation for outside, and when I arrived there I was glad that I had because many tables were filling up and people continued to arrive over the course of the afternoon. They seated us in a lovely shady spot under the restaurant's awning, and over the course of the afternoon we shared some lovely fresh mint tea and some delicious breads and hummus and when I saw that there was lamb tagine on the menu which is a favorite that I often make myself I decided to try theirs. It arrived full of fragrance and plated so appetizingly that when I posted a photograph of it there were so many people who commented on how delicious it looked. It was excellent and a large enough portion that I was able to bring some home though it was so enjoyable that I could have finished it if I hadn't wanted to save some room to try their desserts. We ordered the creme brulee and the baklava and finished the afternoon with some work on the project while enjoying some sweet reverie.

Places like Uncle Momo are what makes life in Jersey City so fulfilling. They describe themselves as a "slow food" restaurant and every touch of the restaurant feels like you're somewhere very much like someone's home. But there is a professionalism to what they do, to how well taken care of the customers are, and how carefully prepared the food is. We can go there and relax and enjoy a meal that was made for enjoying, while also having the comfort of knowing that everything is being planned and well thought out so that we can feel at ease.

After I posted some photographs in my stories, a friend who lives nearby said, "I'm happy to see you at Uncle Momo!" I'm happy to see me there too and happy that a place like this exists that we can visit close to home.

Uncle Momo
289 Grove Street
Jersey City, New Jersey









Blessings,

Jannie Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment