Sunday, February 5, 2023

An Abundant Life - Neighborhood Classic

On the day after the third opening show party and my birthday celebration at YES Gallery, I was in the process of reorganizing and putting things back together when Joe Sivo, one of the wonderful community members who stops by on occasion, walked in the door and invited me to the closing party for Dom's, a bakery that has been making bread in a coal fired oven for generations back to more than 120 years ago.

On my way to the gallery I had walked by Dom's but the line was so long and the crowd of people outside was so large that I felt overwhelmed by the thought of waiting and wading through the throng and so I went on my way to YES Gallery, thinking that I'd never have the opportunity to try their bread and see their shop again. But God had other plans, and when Joe stopped by with his invitation, I asked him to wait a few moments while I finished up a few things and then off we went into the mild January afternoon.

The celebration was memorable for its close to home goodness, and seeing the oven where the bread has been baked for more than 120 years was a travel back in time that was a beautiful experience. I wish I could say I'll be back to Dom's, and maybe I will one day find myself in that space again when whatever happens there comes to new life, but Dom's as it was will live on in memory as something unique and special, not only because of the wonderful bread and impressive history of the oven, but because of the people who worked and lived their lives there, giving daily bread along with their friendship and care for the community.


Dom's Closing Celebration
Hoboken, New Jersey
The Last Bread Baked
The Morning of January 28







Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment