Sunday, January 22, 2023

An Abundant Life - A New Season

It will be my birthday in just a little while, and I'm having the opening of the third show at YES Gallery as part of that celebration. I think celebrating birthdays is important, and as much as possible I try to celebrate in some way all month long and even longer if I can. This year I decided to have the opening at the gallery as part of it because it just seemed right somehow. The gallery itself is like a present I can open every day and a new show is always a reason to celebrate, so putting the two together for a big party felt like the days back when I used to have parties in my West Village and Soho apartments with so many Artists of different kinds meeting and having fun in a very comfortable and homey sort of way.

My apartments have always had a certain feeling to them, and over the years when design trends would talk about Boho Chic or Farmhouse or Shabby Chic or any of the other names they'd give to the things that I gravitated towards naturally I'd just smile when I'd see certain photographs and think, gee I have that thing or wow, I do that too, and I'd be happy that what I was already doing was somehow in style.

YES Gallery as it grows and evolves is becoming like a place that is full of the fun kinds of designs that are the signature of the places where I live. Some things I've had for years that I'm bringing in and others are more recents finds, but all of the touches around the beautiful contemporary art that is the focus of the gallery are added to help people see what it means to live with art. There are design pieces from many different eras, and some things just for fun, but whatever it is that comes into the gallery is meant to help people feel joyfully at home.

As I began to curate for this upcoming show and made plans for some new art to be shown and for new Artists to bring their work to hang alongside some of the pieces that I'm still highlighting from previous shows, I rearranged every area to give a new feeling to the place. On Saturday as I began hanging the show with the Artist Stephen Cimini who has been such a great help to me from the first day that I began planning the gallery, the areas where I had already hung art had such a feeling of some of my old apartments that I jokingly called one part of the space my Boho loft. It gives me so much happiness to move things around and design in a space this way, and I said to one of the Artists whose work is collage that I'm staring to think my gallery is one big collage piece. Part installation, part holder of blessings and treasured memories and part something completely new, each day at YES Gallery is bringing me into a new season with every addition and new arrangement creating new life.


YES Gallery  
408 6th Street
Hoboken, New Jersey







Blessings,

Jannie Susan

    

No comments:

Post a Comment