Monday, September 7, 2015

An Abundant Life - The Abundance of the Season

The first time I walked into AaRaa was just about this time of the year in 2008. The store was on Washington Street in Hoboken then, and a friend of mine had given me a Visa gift card for $25 as a surprise out of the blue. My budget was tighter than ever in those days and I was thinking of using the gift to buy groceries, but I listen to God even when it doesn't make sense, and I felt led to walk into AaRaa. I met the owner Neeta Chitre King who is absolutely one of the loveliest and kindest people I've ever met, and browsed around her beautiful store. Her prices were amazingly affordable and her eye for creating a beautiful space with beautiful things is one of the absolute best. I walked out that day with a pair of sandals and I think I bought a skirt also, and still had enough left on my gift card to stop at the supermarket on the way home. Over the years since then AaRaa has been a destination for me at least weekly, on my way home or on the weekend or a day off, whenever I need a cheerful and beautiful environment around me. I've bought many gifts there and have found such beautiful things for myself that everyone I know is always admiring my jewelry. I feel like a little girl's dream of a treasure chest has come true because of the abundance of beautiful things I now have, and all on a very tight budget. The clothing I have bought is all one of a kind and so lovely, and the home goods have transformed my apartment. Check out AaRaa online at www.aaraa.com, on Facebook at AaRaa Accessories, on Instagram @aaraahoboken and Twitter @shop_aaraa. I've posted a few photos on Instagram @Jannie_Wolff. If you're in Hoboken, stop by the store on 6th between Grand and Adams Streets. The owner is a wonderful host and you may even walk into a party!


N.B. Remember, dear readers, to be good customers, because the stores and store owners I'm sharing here are precious treasures. Treat them with the care and respect they deserve.


Today I was blessed to buy a basket of corn at a local produce market. It wasn't picked this morning, and was more than a day old, but the price was right and so I thought I'd take a chance. It was so fresh and delicious I was glad I did. The secret to making delicious corn is to put it in a pan with barely enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, put a lid on the pan and turn the flame up high for a minute or so and then turn the flame off while leaving the lid on for another thirty seconds. Don't boil your corn! Ever! And don't leave it in the pan too long, even if you're steaming it. Even supermarket corn can taste sweet and fresh if you don't over cook it. If the corn is a bit too old to eat on the cob, you can take it off with a good sharp knife and cook it in a little butter or olive oil. Don't cook it too long, it only needs a minute when it's off the cob. You can also freeze it on the cob if you buy a basket the way I did. Take the husk off and use zip lock bags or doubled produce bags wrapped tightly and sealed with a twist tie. Frozen corn can be used off the cob in soups, chowders and corn muffins, and it's also a nice addition to salads.


Last week's basket deal was prune plums, one of my favorites and they have such a short season. There's a plum coffee cake recipe I love to make with them, but eggs have been so expensive that I decided to go a simpler route and make a version of apple crisp with them instead. I've also been eating them daily in my morning oatmeal and for deserts and snacks.


Experiment with your fruits and vegetables - add them into meals and dishes you're making and see what works. It doesn't matter if there's a recipe for it or not, it's what you like that matters.


Wishing you an abundant life!


Blessings,


Jannie Susan
Princess Sandals on a Pauper's Budget

No comments:

Post a Comment