Sunday, August 14, 2016

An Abundant Life - The Best Taste

Oscar Wilde had a way with words, and his quote "My tastes are simple, I simply like the best," is something I've always appreciated. When it comes to making choices in things I am going to buy, places where I shop and people who I spend time with, I like to feel like I'm making a good investment with my time and money. I don't eat a lot of sweets although I like them, because I know that the foundation of my diet needs to be healthier well balanced meals, so when I do choose to have something that doesn't fall into the category of whole grains or fresh fruit and vegetables, I want to make sure that I'm choosing something that is truly excellent. There's a concept in nutrition education about discretionary calories - those foods that don't fall into the "healthy food choice" category - we are allowed to have some, but it's advised to choose wisely. In my opinion, if I'm going to have discretionary calories, they've got to be something special - I don't like sweets just for sweet's sake.


When I saw that there was a gelato shop opening up in Jersey City Heights, I wanted to try it. The weather has been so hot that anything cold is appetizing. The day before their grand opening they were giving sample tastes, and when I tasted a few things I was delighted. I stopped by and spoke to the owner the other day, such a generous man who gave me his time and showed me the process of making gelato - something that is a dream come true for me because I love everything cooking and kitchen and food related, especially when I don't have to do the dishes.


Maestro Kenneth Jordon has been a resident of Jersey City Heights for 39 years, and he's had his eye on his new space since he was 7. A trained pastry chef and baker since the 8th grade, he's attended Middlesex County College and the Gelato Pastry Institute to enhance his skills. He's serving gelato and sorbet in cones and cups, gelato on home made Belgian waffles, gelato pops coated with the most amazingly delicious coconut or chocolate crunch coatings, gelato cakes, gelato filled cookies, and something I'd never heard of before called Affogatto, a shot of espresso with gelato. Regular flavors include pistachio, hazelnut, tiramisu, kookies & caramel, chocolate and cheesecake, and there will be more sweets and more delectable creations, seasonal choices and special flavors. He thinks the way I do about how to make delicious things even more delicious, and the ingredients he uses are simply the best. After eating a Belgian Waffle with two scoops of gelato - my choices were pistachio and chocolate - complete with chocolate sauce and whipped cream, I didn't have any feeling of sugar overload or heaviness, just a deep feeling of satisfaction and happiness in the choice I had made. His kitchen is spotless, his ingredients the best, his knowledge the deepest and his passion for excellence the icing on the gelato cakes he makes. I'm going to have to rename it a lot of gelato, because I know I'll be going back for more.


A Little Gelato
280 Central Avenue
Jersey City, NJ
Open Daily From 10am-10pm









Maestro Kenneth Jordon Making Gelato



















And Making A Home Made Belgian Waffle







Blessings,

Jannie Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment