Sunday, November 12, 2017

An Abundant Life - A Visionary Light

I would say that I met the beautiful artist Dorothy A. Culpepper by accident, but I've come to know that there are no accidental meetings or coincidences. A friend calls them Godincidences and other friends says they are Divine Appointments. I go by either name because by whatever name you call them they are just as sweet. The first time I walked into Montserrat Contemporary Art it was because I had attended an opening in the same building, and before I headed home again I decided to wander a bit to see what other openings there were. "Second Direction" New Works By Dorothy A. Culpepper at Montserrat Contemporary Art was the next exhibit I walked into, and it was so refreshing and inspiring that I knew that was where I was meant to be all along. After talking to several lovely people, I was introduced to the Curator, Irma Herbozo, and she introduced me to the artist who offered to sit and talk with me because she would soon be on her way back to her home in New Mexico. She shared a bit of her history, and the inspirations she has had along the way, but it was apparent from her words and her work that her inspiration is a light that shines above and beyond and brings light and life to others who come into contact with it. Spattering and pouring, working with colors and textures, this new direction of work reflects her love of the landscape in her New Mexico home and her appreciation of the world around her. She and her work were so delightful and so lovely that I asked if I could come back at another time to photograph the work and talk to the Curator for a blog post, and so a few weeks later I did. The Curator Irma Herbozo is also so lovely and delightful and the gallery so charming in every way that I was glad for the opportunity to visit again at a time when it was quieter so that I could get to know it better. Montserrat Contemporary Art has a group of artists who are members who show throughout the year, and I'm looking forward to more wonderful openings and shows in the future. It is a place with beautiful art, and wonderful people, and a beautiful space to let them shine in.

"Second Direction" New Works By Dorothy A. Culpepper
Montserrat Contemporary Art
547 West 27th Street
New York City









Dorothy A. Culpepper In Conversation
Photograph Courtesy of Irma Herbozo










Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment