Sunday, April 22, 2018

An Abundant Life - Fresh From The Neighborhood

I first heard about Hooked JC from a longtime neighborhood resident who asked if I had been there yet. When I told him I hadn't, he said in no uncertain terms, "You should." As I've written in these pages before, I don't listen to hype, and it's only when certain people make recommendations that I decide to follow up. If I just hear about something in the media or because there's some kind of buzz, I might keep my ears open for what people I know are saying, but I'll definitely wait before going. But because of who told me I should go, and the way that he described it, I knew it was a place that I'd like, and one that I'd felt was missing from my life in the City. You see, Hooked JC has the feel of a seaside fish restaurant, more Gloucester or Pawtucket than Jersey City, and although once upon a time I'm sure there were places like it nestled near the harbor, I haven't seen anything like it since I moved to the area. There are a few restaurants that have that seafood shanty style in outer boroughs of New York City, but they are far off the beaten track and difficult to get to, needing a long travel time on buses and trains and walking unless you have the luxury of a car which I do not. So to find Hooked was a dream come true, and to find it in a neighborhood I like to visit and take a pleasant walk to once in a while was even better.

Hooked was started by two long time friends who wanted to bring that same ocean and harborside feel and flavor to a restaurant nearer to home. Long time chef and restaurateur Tory Aunspach and Natalie Miniard found the spot and lovingly renovated and excavated, discovering different treasures hidden in the basement and under wraps that they added to the decor as they designed and planned the vintage look and feel. The result is a space that welcomes people of all walks of life, and that serves seafood simply and deliciously as fresh off the boat as possible. Customers can order from the daily menu, choosing from cooking methods of Blackened, Fried or Grilled and from styles of preparation of Po Boy, Platter or Over Salad, from a list of fairly regular offerings with a few wild card catches of the day as they are available. Healthy fresh fruit infused water is available, or you can byob. And if you're planning a party or gathering, catering is another service provided.

About a week after I had heard about Hooked, I was at a community gallery opening on my side of the neighborhood across town, and Cheryl Gross, who I posted about last week and whose work was in the show, introduced me to Natalie, one of the co-owners, who was at the reception. I said that I'd just heard about Hooked and had been wanting to try it, and as it turned out that  not only did Cheryl know the owners and the restaurant and liked them, but Natalie was so friendly and welcoming that was the only additional recommendation I needed. Cheryl and I planned a trip there together on a chilly fall evening, and the food and place were everything I could have hoped for. I had sword fish, a long time favorite that I rarely find fresh and delicious enough unless I'm in Rhode Island, and Cheryl and I shared some fried oysters, another favorite that not many people I know do well. They were wonderful and the space delightful - in a way I'm glad they are across town because if they were closer I'd be eating there much more often. I like my own kitchen and my own cooking, but now that I know about Hooked JC, whenever the craving for seafood served in a seaside shanty comes over me, I'll know where I have to go.


Hooked JC
467 Communipaw Avenue
Jersey City, New Jersey
(201) 946-4177



Co-Owner and Chef Tory Aunspach
Cleaning Deliciously Fresh Shrimp

Fresh Fruit Infused Water
Always Available


Comfortable And Lovely Vintage And Seaside Decor









Fun And Inventive Tabletop Containers
And Rolls Of Paper-towel To Encourage Full Enjoyment





Local Artist Cheryl Gross In Conversation
With Chef and Co-Owner Tory Aunspach









Rich And Light
Flavorful Fried Oysters

Fresh Grilled Swordfish
Served With Jalepeno-Honey Hushpuppies
And Jicama-Green Apple Coleslaw

Or If You Prefer
A Catch Of The Day Over Fresh Green Salad









Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment