Sunday, August 19, 2018

An Abundant Life - Luminosity

The day I attended last year's Boutique Design Show at the Javitz Center in New York City was a busy one for me. I had so many things to do before I went, and another event afterward, but I didn't want to miss it because I had been invited by a wonderful design showroom and I wanted to make sure to say hello and thank them. It was a freezing day, and when I arrived it was so warm inside and I couldn't stay very long, so instead of checking my coat I carried it with me which only succeeded in making me more uncomfortable, and as I tried to take off layers and carry everything awkwardly, I discovered at one point that I had lost my entry badge that had been hanging around my neck. It wasn't a really big deal because I couldn't come back on any other day and once I left I would be leaving for good, but when I went to the different booths, everyone wanted to scan my information in for their records, and some people were not very happy that I didn't have any information to scan. As I walked quickly around looking for my friends who had invited me, I suddenly saw an oasis of pure beauty shining in front of me. When I stopped to look, I saw what appeared to be enormous gemstones that had somehow been made into light boxes and light fixtures and glowing table tops but that I realized as I looked more closely had been made out of glass. As anyone who knows me knows, I love glass. I've loved it since I was a child and over the years my love for glass has grown as I've discovered many different styles throughout history and been introduced to the artisans who work with it. Tomak Julian Baksik, through his company Julian Glass, is doing something very different, something that seems almost like alchemy, and as I walked through his booth and spoke with the person there I realized that there wasn't any other reason I'd arrived that day except to take in the absolute magical perfection of his work.

Tomak wasn't there at that moment, and though I would have loved to have come back to meet him I simply didn't have time. The person who was watching his booth for him was very cordial. He didn't mind writing my contact information down and he gave me Tomak's business card. Tomak followed up with me and I followed up with him, and when I told him I'd like to do a blog post and asked if he had any images he could share, he sent me some of the most mouthwatering photographs of his work along with a link to a video on YouTube. I'll share those with you here and share some photos I took that afternoon. They'll give you a taste of what he's capable of, but I can honestly say even the most beautiful photos can't come close. There is something mesmerizing about his work, as if the glowing creations are lit from within, naturally taking in the light of their surroundings as they are lit from without and back-lit with lighting sources to enhance the gleaming play of colors. The art of Tomak Baksik could make any room feel like a medieval palace, an underground treasure trove deep within a cavernous cave, a modern art fantasia and a futuristic scene all rolled into one and unfolding within and around each other. His eye for beauty and design are astonishing, and his pieces would make any room or space feel luxurious.

On the Julian Glass website, you can find this information: "Tomak Julian Baksik's early work as NeoClassical sculptor in diverse media, complimented by a science and engineering background, progressed into glass at an auspicious time. Since Tiffany, there have been many inspired glass artists but few breakthroughs in what was possible. Through years of bottom up research, new techniques and formulations in glass enabled an array of forms evoking the qualities of natural crystal and precious metals." We learn that "Tomak studied at the University of Michigan, hosts seminars in glass and metal casting, and exhibits at several national trade shows and festivals." There is a description of some of his notable works, including "an over-life-size fountain featuring Minerva and Neptune, the Pennsic Cathedral, and Urania, a life-sized sculpture in bronze, glass and fiber optics," and we are given a glimpse into his philosophy and vision. In his own words, "I have an enduring admiration for Bernini, Borrowmini, and the named and nameless sculptors of antiquity who pioneered the horizons of an art radiant with meaning, now etched into history. Time washes away the noise, leaving for us these jewels of truth." Take a moment and step into his vision for a journey of a lifetime.



The Art Of Tomak Julian Baksik
Founder Of Julian Glass
34 Gary Street
Carnegie, Pennsylvania
https://www.julianglass.com/
Photographs Courtesy Of Tomak Julian Baksik







A Video Of A Glass Lecture
Courtesy Of Tomak Julian Baksik

A Few Images Of The Beauty I Experienced
At The Boutique Design Show












Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment