Sunday, September 1, 2019

An Abundant Life - Flowers Of Inspiration

I first met Jaume at a group show at Montserrat Contemporary Art when I saw some of the most beautiful floral watercolors I had ever seen and I asked who the Artist was who had created them. Jaume was standing near his work and he very softly said that he was the Artist, and I think I must have startled him with my exuberance when I said they were absolutely gorgeous because he is a very quiet and soft spoken, humble person who I don't think even remotely understands how talented and gifted an Artist he is. I took a photo of him that day along with some of the paintings and prints that were hanging in the Salon, and I asked if I could come back to meet with him at some point and write about him and his work. He said I could in his very soft spoken and humble, sweet way, but because of his own travels and I think a good part of his own very humble not understanding what on earth I would want to meet with him to write about, it took until now for me to have an opportunity to meet with him again. We had seen each other a few times in between, and I had seen more of his work, including some of his oil paintings and larger pieces, but it was only a few days ago when I was able to share some time with him and talk about his history and his work and how much his beautiful paintings meant to me as inspiration and as pieces to bring beauty and peace into the world.

At the time when I first met him I had taken a few photographs which I posted on Instagram, and the reaction of my followers and other people who happened to see the post was just as positive as my own. As I have met with him over time I have tried to explain the feelings his work evokes in people, and I have also heard from his sister, who is the Owner of Montserrat Contemporary Art, that there are many other people who respond with such a strong positive feeling to his work. I have a theory that has developed over time as I have continued to work with Artists and Designers and other Creative Entrepreneurs that the best of the best are usually the ones who don't understand how great they are. When I tell someone they are wonderful and that their work is the best I have seen, I mean it - I don't just say that to encourage people. If I say it's stunning, if I say it's the best, I mean what I say and I have a history of working with Artists and Creatives to prove it. In this crazy world we live in, there are people who will say they are great or that they have experience when they don't, and I've begun to realize that in some cases people who say they know something or are something can somehow find a way to succeed, because by the time people figure out that they don't have the experience or expertise they've claimed, they've either figured out how to at least fake it well or they've moved on to something or somewhere else. But it's those people who have integrity, who work hard, who have singular and exciting vision, who are truly craftspeople and Artists at heart, it's those people who sometimes can go by the wayside while others are recognized, sometimes for work that someone else did. And in the process, the true greats can sometimes get discouraged, can stop doing their life's passionate work, or can decide that they are just not good enough to promote themselves into the spotlight. And so it is with great pleasure that I learned that though Jaume had stopped painting for a while, he has started again and is now planning a solo show for early next year.

It is hard to describe the feeling that Jaume's work evokes. When I first saw it I was reminded of some of my favorite country homes, a beautiful summer seaside town where I spent many happy days as a child, a walk in the country, my favorite English novels, Louisa May Alcott and Emily Dickinson and some of their Boston and New England stories and poems, and something even more delicate that whispered to me of the innocence of new love, of times gone by when I was young, and of another way of life that was more peaceful and tranquil than the fast-paced life of today. When I look at Jaume's work I also see the intense skill and dedication that it takes to bring life to a page of paper with watercolor or oil paints, and the care that he takes with each brush stroke to make a flower appear in a way that you can feel and smell it. His work takes you into a world as well as into a sensory experience, and you find yourself breathing deeper, listening better and seeing colors in a new way. The artwork of Jaume is a truly special way to view the world, and by experiencing it we are able to see our own lives in a new way.

Jaume
At Montserrat Contemporary Art
547 West 27th Street
New York City

















Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment