Sunday, April 5, 2020

An Abundant Life - Animal Friendly

I usually don't write about a restaurant unless I've eaten there, but in these strange new times we're living in I'm making an exception. VeganAF is located in Jersey City Heights, and it opened its doors on the day after the late night announcement that the Mayor of Hoboken down the hill closed all the restaurants for everything except for takeout and delivery, and not long after that the Mayor of Jersey City did the same. I had been planning to go to the opening day, but as it was I was in a bit of a state of shock and I only remembered it was the opening day when it was very late that evening. I wasn't sure if William, the owner, would have opened or not, but then a few days later when I was walking by I saw him in the window. I waved and we had a brief conversation from a distance as we have to these days, and I told him that I was in the process of developing a project to help local restaurants in Hoboken and Jersey City get funding to provide meals for people in need. He enthusiastically told me he'd be happy to help once I got it going, and as I had already planned to write a blog post when I had first met him, I thought why not go ahead and do it. I'm sure the food he makes is terrific - I had met him originally a few weeks before because the wonderful Artist Distort was talking to him outside the restaurant about creating a sign for him before the current crisis had become what it is now, and we all thought that we'd basically be able to go about our lives as we usually did but with just a bit more caution. But of course all that's changed now, but some things like the quality of a restaurant and a Chef and a person don't change, and if Distort liked William, and he was also planning to create a sign for the restaurant, then I knew that William was not only a great person, but he must be a great Chef too.

William has been very busy since he opened, which is great news. With restaurants closed for just takeout and delivery I have been worried about some of the people I know and care about who own restaurants and work in them. There's a great spirit in the great Chefs and Restaurateurs I know - they are resilient like Artists and no matter what happens they have to figure out a way to feed people the way an Artist has to make Art. Food is their creative outlet and feeding people is as natural to them as having an audience is to a performer.

I know from my work teaching nutrition and wellness that food can be a great healer when it is made from the heart with delicious and nutritious ingredients. I'm looking forward to trying some of the menu items at VeganAF soon because they look really wonderful. With everything from shakes and grilled cheese to rellenos made with maduros, and make your own salads and soups of the day to add some extra surprise and spice to life, VeganAF may have started at a difficult time in all of our lives, but from everything I can see, it's here to stay and to be a part of our community just at a time when we need its care.


VeganAF
291 Central Avenue
Jersey City Heights, New Jersey
Photographs Courtesy Of The VeganAF Instagram and Website












Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment