Sunday, September 10, 2023

An Abundant Life - The Art Of Fashion

I was on my way to a gallery opening in one of the gallery buildings where I've gone to many shows over the years and where I also did a big art opening event in 2019 that I wrote about at the time. I know so many of the galleries in the building and so many of the gallery owners and Artists, and I always enjoy going to that building for shows because I always see beautiful art and familiar faces and have a wonderful time. It had been a while since I'd been there for a show because of my own schedule with YES Gallery and other projects, and the gallery I was planning to visit for the opening was one that I hadn't been to in over a year. I"d stopped by at one point a while ago to say hello, but this was the first time I'd had a chance to go and celebrate with them in what felt like a very long time, and I was looking forward to seeing them and visiting during the opening celebration.

The day that I was going to the gallery for the opening I planned to stop by one of my favorite thrift stores that is nearby. I hadn't had much time to go there over the past year and they were having an end of the season sale so I scheduled enough time to stop in on my way to the gallery. They were having some difficulty with their cash register and the online systems were down, so I was finished earlier than I'd planned because I would need to return another day. The gallery where I was going to afterward is owned by people I have become very friendly with over the years, and so usually if they are there I can stop by before the actual opening time even if they are still setting up. The building also has so many other galleries that I thought I might wander around a bit too, but then when I arrived at the address I noticed that there was a door opened to the side of the entrance I usually go into and there was lots of very interesting clothing hung on racks for sale inside.

I decided to browse a bit, expecting it to be very expensive because it all looked very beautiful and stylish and well made, but then when I started to look at prices I saw that they were very reasonable. The very lovely woman who greeted me was very nice and friendly, and she let me try on a few things that I was holding up to look at more closely. We started talking more, and because it was gallery night in Chelsea and in that building, she put out some refreshments too. I kept thinking that I needed to get to the gallery opening so that I could go home fairly early, but I was having such an enjoyable time I kept staying longer to continue to talk. The dresses I tried on were both wonderful, and I could have tried on many more things and wanted to buy them all, but I chose one knowing that I'd be back again because this has become my favorite new boutique. The owner told me it's just a pop-up but I hope that she'll be there much longer. Her wonderful store reminds me of the beautiful and unique places I used to find in New York when I first moved there, and she herself is such a lovely person it is fun just to visit and talk. It's an art to know how to style clothing and to present it in a space, and she has created such a wonderful environment to explore and shop. To find it in a gallery building where I have enjoyed so many creative experiences over the years seems like a very special and precious new gift.


A New Dress
From Sabine's Pop Up Boutique
547 West 27th Street
New York City




Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment