Wednesday, October 9, 2013

He Will Perfect It!

I was sending a verse to a friend of mine, and it was a verse I needed to hear also. That’s something that the Lord will do with me often – I’ll have a word or a scripture to share with someone and then He’ll show me how important it is for me to listen to it too. The verse is Philippians 1:6, “For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”

When I sent it to my friend, I started thinking of all of the ways that we can doubt our own salvation and healing, that we can start to doubt the salvation of others or judge whether they are saved or not, and that it is only God who can know the truth of each one of our hearts and if He has begun that good work, He will complete it. It’s not up to us – I shared with my friend that my favorite verse is Ephesians 2:8, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works so that no one can boast.” It really is not up to us at all – the only thing we can do is choose to say yes or no, but other than that, once we have been called and we’ve said yes, He’ll finish what He started.
Sometimes the way God works in our lives is through the very things that have been challenges to us before. At just the right time, when He knows we are ready to go through something with His help – it is always with His help because He has promised never to leave us or forsake us – at just the right time He will take us through something that in the past we thought had power over us – it could be a person or a thing or an experience – and He’ll show us that it never did. The interesting that that happens – interesting more when we get on the other side of it and sometimes really stressful when we are going through it – is that the closer we get to being healed of whatever that thing or person or experience from the past is, the harder it seems to face it this time with God. It’s in those moments right before the breakthrough and victory that we can often feel like the defeat of everything that we had hoped for is coming. That is one of the strategies of the enemy – if he can just get us to give up before we have the blessing that God has promised to us we won’t walk into the Promised Land.

It is very similar with faith about our own salvation. When we are saved, we are saved, and that’s all there is to it. God called us, we answered, sometimes after a long struggle or many years of trying to do things our own way – this was my case so I am speaking for myself here – and when we finally answered, the revelation of who God is in our lives and the feeling of why didn’t I do that sooner?! is so powerful that it would seem impossible to forget or disbelieve the miracle that occurred because we experienced it personally. And yet over time, and time and time again, we can fall into the trap the enemy sets for us and start believing the lie that nothing has changed and that we are the same as we always were. And often just when we are going to walk into a new victory, just when we are about to shed a layer of some negative experience from the past, just when we are about to move to another level of faith, the enemy will send something to make us think that we have not been miraculously changed.
Often in those times I find myself saying to God – “It’s the same!” meaning that the situation I am dealing with is the same thing I’ve dealt with before. It may be different people, it may be a different place, it may be on the outside completely different in many aspects, but at the core it is the same, and when I start to see that and say that, He reminds me that though the situation may be the same on the surface, the real core is different because He’s at my core now, and that means that my core is solid as a rock.

In Matthew 7:24-25, Jesus says, “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock.” It is the hearing first, and then the acting that builds that house with a strong foundation, it is the faith that comes as a gift, the acceptance of that gift, and then the action of following His teaching that produces the good work within us.
Once we have said yes, our job is to continue to follow, to keep saying yes even when sometimes we feel like saying no. There are times when we may be facing something that we say I can’t go through that again, but when we keep listening and trusting, and accepting of the gift of His presence in our lives, we will understand that once He’s begun His good work in us, everything else He will do will always be good, and He will complete all of His good work in us.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment