Sunday, October 18, 2015

An Abundant Life - Community Building

On a Spirit led walk one day I discovered Ed's Salvage Co., which was located on Bergen Avenue in the McGinley Square section of Jersey City. The famous Ed Ramirez wasn't around that day, but even though the store was closed I could sense the magic emanating from within and glowing around the Christmas tree lights at the basement door where I saw a sign for Harry Street Coffee, and I looked forward to coming back one day. A few weeks later, on a Fourth of July weekend, I was again led by the Spirit to see if the store was open and it was. Was it only a year and a half ago? It seems like I've known Ed for ages, and maybe I have. Meetings of the Spirit tend to go beyond space and time. That day when I stopped by, a very sweet young man emerged from the back of the store while I was browsing and asked how I'd found the store. I always tell people who I am in Christ, and so I started out by saying, "I was born again in 2005," and was about to go on to tell him how the Spirit had led me to walk a different way one day that led right by the store when Ed answered, "You're born again? So am I!" And then we were off on a conversation that took us until late in the evening, Ed ordered dinner, and we sat and talked and shared stories while customers and friends came and went. Since that time, visiting with Ed is one of my favorite pastimes. It's always an adventure and there's always something new and exciting brewing in Ed Land. And if you're looking for an apartment, or have one to rent, talk to Ed. He always does good reliable business with a smile. Check out these interviews:

From the New York Times: Jersey City Proposes to Legalize AirBnB

On NBC: Jersey City Hoping to Legalize AirBnB


On that first day, or maybe it was another, Ed took me to see Hewn Arts Center at 140 Sip Avenue near Kennedy Boulevard. Located in a large basement with plenty of room for different galleries and stores, Hewn has grown over the time I have known Ed. The Hudson Flea is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 11-7, and there are always wonderful vintage clothing and jewelry finds, furniture and home accessories, and art and artisans galore for every taste and palette. For other palates there is Harry Street Coffee, and events and readings and art openings and fashion shows that keep the arts and our creative souls alive.

On a recent weekend I found so many wonderful sights to photograph that I can't even fit them all in here. Wherever possible I've added contact information and I'll give you a taste, but please, run and don't walk to visit Hewn and the Hudson Flea. And remember, as always, dear readers, please treat Ed and all of the people you meet at Hewn and The Hudson Flea with the grace they bring to you. Each and every one of them is a treasure, so please remember to treat them that way.

Doll Making Workshop in Studio Six

Kimberly D. Sumpter and Wax Kandy - Scented and Keepsake Candles
Ask About Candles, Cocktails and Conversation
Personalized Make Your Own Candle Parties!
www.waxkandy.com
(201) 702-6492
waxkandy@gmail.com
Instagram, pinterest and twitter @waxcandy

Nia Reid-Allen of Myrtle & Flossie
Clothing and Therapeutic Homeopathic Care
Before, During, After and Baby
www.myrtleandflossie.com
www.themodelmommy.blogspot.com
www.MyrtleandFlossie.Etsy.com
www.opensky.com/myrtleandflossie
info@myrtleandflossie.com

Stacey Renee Designs 

www.shop.staceyreneedesigns.com/

J. Lexi, LLC- Homemade Natural Bar Soaps and Body Care
Jlexillc.com
info@jlexillc.com

Ed Ramirez and Ed's Salvage Co.
Photo Courtesy of The New York Times Online, Michelle V. Agins
facebook.com/edssalvageco




Christian Gavillan
Entrepreneur, Hospitality Guru and Host Extraordinaire
Instagram @krsp_intl

James Calley, Yesterday To Today
I'll be featuring this store in future weeks - I can't walk in without buying something!






facebook.com/YesterdayToToday
(973) 775-2318

Harry Street Coffee




Hewn Art Center





The Hudson Flea










140 Sip Avenue, Jersey City, NJ
facebook.com/hudsonflea



Lovely Gathering

A few weeks ago I wrote in these pages about AaRaa, located at 408 6th Street in Hoboken between Grand and Adams, www.aaraa.com. On Friday I was blessed to attend a small gathering of beautiful fabulous women for a jewelry party hosted by Vanessa Checchio of Bachata & Barbells. I can't remember when I've had more fun, unless it's when I'm with Ed Ramirez and the crew at Hewn and The Hudson Flea. Visit AaRaa, follow on Instagram @aaraahoboken, check out Facebook at AaRaa Accessories and Twitter@shop_aaraa, and you too can have the insider information on amazing events like these. While you're at it, follow Vanessa Checchio @bachataandbarbells, contact her at bachata.barbells@gmail.com or (908) 358-2108 - she's a wonderful host, a truly lovely spirit, a personal trainer and she makes jewelry and enjoys teaching others too! Who could ask for anything more.

Vanessa Checchio designer and Personal Trainer Extraordinaire
Bachata & Barbells



The Magical Pouch I Was Given

Turned Into A Make It Yourself Custom Bracelet





Blessings,

Jannie Susan



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the blog post! We have so much fun at the Hewn Arts Center! You are always welcome to join us.

    ReplyDelete