Sunday, January 15, 2017

An Abundant Life - A Piece Of Heaven

On the day of the first snowfall of the year, I went to visit Tulema Pizzeria and Restaurant. I had planned the trip earlier in the week, and when I saw the snow start falling thicker and thicker that day, I thought about rescheduling, but I somehow felt that it would be worth the trip and that if I could get myself going on the way I'd be happy that I did. I knew the food would be good - the owner and chef had worked at one of the best Italian restaurants in the area and this area knows how to make wonderful Italian food - but I didn't know that I would find myself in a place that was serving five star meals in a local, relaxed and family friendly setting.

The first thing I wanted to try was the Pizza - the word is in the name of the restaurant, and I am a Pizza lover, but I'm also a Pizza snob who grew up in Massachusetts, one of the best Pizza making places on earth. I also make it myself, and though I'll eat just about any kind of Pizza, I wanted to see if Tulema made a good one. I knew after the first bite that I'd be dreaming about it, and that I had found a truly special place. When I told them how delicious it was, I was introduced to Jose who everyone said is the Pizza mastermind - though the chef as I later found out knows how to make the best of the best of everything he makes, Jose know his Pizza so well that he's been given full charge over that area. That's just one of the many things that make Tulema so special - everyone working there is so nice and friendly, you feel like you're in someone's home, and they treat each other with equal respect and care as they do their customers, so that everyone working there is happy and comfortable doing what they do best.

I had looked over the menu, which has some of my favorite dishes on it, but after trying the Pizza and experiencing its delicious perfection, I asked if there was something special the owner would like me to try. Every chef has their signature dish, and while I was sure by that point that everything on the menu is outstanding, I wanted to taste what the chef wanted to share with me. The dishes he decided on were Meatballs served as an appetizer, and Chicken Saltimboca, two things that are favorites of mine, but as with the Pizza, they are things I am very picky about. They were done to perfection and served so beautifully that when the chef came out to ask me how they were, all I could do was rave and say where did you learn to cook like this? He told me he had learned from the grandmother at the restaurant he had worked at before, something that I know from my own experience never happens unless that grandmother knows you have a true love and skill for creating delicious food. It's not everyone who the grandmothers of the world let into their secrets, and in speaking with the chef I could see that he was one of those special ones, the foodies of the world who love to learn and listen and try and refine - with them it's not just a job but an adventure. I know because I am one of them too, and usually when I eat at a restaurant I can figure out what the chef has done and recreate it at home, but that afternoon at Tulema, all I could do was savor and enjoy - I have no idea how he does what he does, but Chef Manuel Nolasco has a new and permanent fan. And if you're lucky enough to visit when his wife Xenia is there, she is as lovely and charming as the food is delicious, and will welcome you to your table with grace. Oh, and did I say that they make their own bread and serve it fresh from the oven? On that snowy blizzard day I found myself in Heaven.

Tulema Pizzeria And Restaurant
Owners Manuel Nolasco And Tuti Bloise
218 48th Street
Union City, New Jersey
(201) 758-5943
www.tulemapizza.com


Perfect Pizza Perfected By Jose




Perfect Service From The Lovely Shantal

Manuel Nolasco's Amazing Creations




Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment