Sunday, January 29, 2017

An Abundant Life - Red Hot Passion

Sufia Hossain is a gorgeous powerhouse of energy. A creative force this full of goodness is a blessing on any day, and when it comes to hot sauce, I'd have to say it's a double blessing. My father and I used to have competitions about who could eat the hottest food and also who could make the best hot food - I began my love of hot and spicy food by learning everything I could know from him. My father was also an inquisitive connoisseur of cultural fine foods - wherever he went he'd make friends with the restaurant owners and chefs and somehow find a way to get into the kitchen with them to learn their craft. Over the years I've discovered that I've inherited this side of him, and now when I go anywhere I'm always trying to find out how to make what the chef is making. I ask in stores and restaurants and people's homes, finding out about spices and herbs and techniques. And when it comes to hot and spicy, though my father isn't around anymore to compete with, I still like my spicy foods hotter than hot. It's a bit of a joke with my friends who have eaten spicy food with me - what has everyone else crying has me asking if there is any more hot sauce. I make a thick paste with my wasabi and soy sauce and then ask for another serving, and I buy my chili peppers in bulk. And once when I bought a bag of poblano peppers at one of my favorite produce markets by accident, I cooked them over pasta the way I'd cook any pepper. I'd thought I'd wait and make chili rellenos, a dish that my father was a master of, but then I tried them a few times over the pasta and decided to go ahead and keep on eating them that way.


When I first started hearing about Silly Chilly Hot Sauce, I was intrigued. I thought the name was great, and it was hot sauce which I always love, and then I met Sufia Hossain and I was hooked. She's lovely and fun and charming, but also deeply passionate about world issues and community life. A philanthropist who involves herself with hands on charitable projects and a perfectionist who taught herself how to make hot sauce in her Hoboken kitchen, she's also a jewelry designer and a professional business woman with a strong background in the fashion industry. There are so many levels to Sufia that I can only touch on the surface here, but before I share some photographs with you, I'll add that she believes in creating local industry artisanal jobs and working with local farmers and growers to support sustainable and healthy food choice. And if you like it hot, when you try her hot sauce you'll fall in love - I've cooked with it and dashed it over my lunches and dinners, and added it to vegetables, meats and cheeses and fish, and each time as I discover the new flavors unfolding, I remember the different people and places over the years where I have learned the beauty and pure deliciousness of spicy hot food, and savor the flavor of truly delectable hot and spicy sauce.

Sufia Hossain, Founder And CEO
Silly Chilly Hot Sauce
SillyChillyHotSauce@gmail.com
Instagram/Facebook: SillyChillyHotSauce
Pictured Here At Baking Mama Bakeshop & Cafe
Hoboken, New Jersey
 

Sustainable Packaging Using Locally Sourced Products
And Art By Local Designers
(Photograph Courtesy Of Sufia Hossain)
(Photograph by Rex Romero)

Gracing My Table


Gracing The Farms
(Photographs Courtesy of Sufia Hossain)




Blessings,

Jannie Susan



No comments:

Post a Comment