Sunday, April 9, 2017

An Abundant Life - A Taste Of Paradise

There's something about peanut brittle that is irresistible to me. My brother loved it too, and when we were growing up he'd have to hide it from me or I'd sneak into his room and finish it all. I used to love to hang out with him when he was drawing - he didn't mind me sitting and watching him, and sometimes he'd share his peanut brittle with me and I'd be in heaven. I've tried making it before because I love it so much, but it's not an easy thing to make and I never really perfected it, so I keep trying to find good peanut brittle wherever I go and nothing seems to match up to the perfection of my memory of sitting in my brother's room and having those long ago treats.

But then one day I saw a photograph of some delectable looking peanut brittle on the Instagram page of Gilbert Antero, and when I commented "One of my favorites," he responded "Stop by." I've been following Gilbert for a while now because his pages are so full of fun and delicious photos, but I know that though he lives in a town that is not very far from me, it is far enough that to just stop by would be difficult. I looked more closely at his photo and saw he'd put "Mathew's Food And Drink" as the location, and so I looked up the restaurant and found to my great surprise and delight that it was not far from me at all in an area I know very well. I wrote back to him and we decided on a date, and on a beautiful feeling like spring afternoon I found myself meeting someone I can only refer to now as the Magician Of Desserts, and being introduced to Restaurateur Extraordinaire Mat Kopec and Chef Of My Dreams Jon Mecca and some of the wonderful afternoon staff as well. My afternoon at Matthew's was so delightful that I keep remembering it everywhere else I go. It's lovely inside and out, with special touches of interior design by the outstanding Kevin Greenberg and simply lovely graphic design by the wonderful Drew Heffron that create an atmosphere so inviting and lovely that the food would taste good because of the surroundings, and because the food is so excellently and carefully prepared and served it tastes divine. Corn fritters are one of my favorite things, and something I do make very well, but the ones that I had that day made me want to just go there every time I have the craving now which would mean I'd probably be there every day if I could. With just the right touches, everything I had that afternoon will live on in my memory, and I've already been telling everyone I know to go there. One thing I will add, and something I don't say all the time - save room for dessert because Gilbert Antero makes the best of the best and you won't want to miss one bite.

Mathew's Food And Drink
351 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ
Chefs Jon Mecca and Mike Kedala
Desserts By Gilbert Antero
Cocktail Menu: Cody Goldstein, Founder of Muddling Memories
 http://mathewsfoodanddrink.com/
 

















Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment