Sunday, May 7, 2017

An Abundant Life - Spirit Of The Wood

A few weeks ago I went to the gallery opening for "SuperWoman!" at the beautiful 107 Bowers Gallery & Art Space in Jersey City Heights. The room was filled with gorgeous pieces by truly wonderful artists, and though I would not have thought of trying to pick a favorite from among the stunning pieces there, when someone asked me what my favorite was, I pointed out a few that had caught my eye enough to bring me back again for several more closer looks. One of the pieces was by Philip A Robinson Jr., and I said that of all the pieces there his piece had moved me very deeply. The person who had asked me pointed the artist out and I ran to tell him personally how stunningly beautiful and deeply moving it was. I have always loved wood and wood carving, and this piece was like nothing I had ever seen or experienced before. It was a face, done so intricately and yet with such naturally striking colors and textures that it seemed to come alive from the wall and begin to tell its story. There were words carved into it, burned into the wood so delicately and forcefully that the experience of reading them was a visceral one. Beautiful words written and composed with care, speaking with love for a personal and collective history and future.

I arranged to visit his studio, and we met there on a very rainy and windy wild weather spring day. But inside there was peace in the storm as we talked about his history of creating his art. There is so much that he shares in his work that is so personal, and because of the deeply personal connection to his own exploration of culture and race and technology and life and art and music and education and social issues that face youth and families throughout this generation and historically, his themes become far reaching and have an impact beyond what is seen at first glance. Within each piece is a world of ideas and emotions, a personal exploration that becomes universal. His work stayed with me, long after I left the studio, and his quiet and measured words made an impact that still resonates, and will continue to be a part of my understanding, and my questioning, as I connect with the world around me.


Philip A Robinson Jr.
Jersey City, New Jersey
www.philiparobinsonjr.allyou.net
Shown Here With The Artwork Of Helen Kim



















Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment