Sunday, January 14, 2018

An Abundant Life - Deliciously Crafted

A few months ago when I was writing about the wonderful makers of Misunderstood Whiskey, I took an adventure around Hoboken to try the different specialty cocktails that a variety of talented Mixologists were making with that very special Ginger Spiced Whiskey as their inspiration. Though a few of the restaurants I'd visited before, some of them I'd never been to, and thanks to the wonderful makers of wonderful Misunderstood, I was introduced to some amazing people. One of the restaurants on my list was Grand Vin which is a favorite of mine, and when I stopped by to try the specialty cocktail they were making, I was introduced to the amazing Mike Fikaris. I had written about Grand Vin before, and had visited there for several memorable meals, but every time I had been sitting outside and enjoying the wine selection and the amazing pairings the very knowledgeable and excellent staff had suggested, and I'd never thought to try a cocktail. As soon as I met Mike and saw the skill and focus he put into his craft, I knew I had met someone very special and I asked if I could spend some time with him after I finished writing about Misunderstood Whiskey so that I could write about the marvelous world he creates inside at the bar. He connected me with Anne Marie Adducci, who creates so many of the lovely touches in design that grace the space and who also graces the events with her lovely presence, and I was on to a new adventure.

The first taste treat I had on my next visit after that wonderful Misunderstood Whiskey adventure was on a Sunday afternoon, and though he'd been working a double shift, he worked double time with admirable good cheer to share some of his expertise. Then Anne Marie invited me to the Fall Cocktail Tasting, an event that I will always remember for the beauty of presentation and taste that introduced the lucky group of us to each cocktail. I had spoken with Dan Grey, the amazing owner who had so impressed me when I first wrote about the beautiful space and place he'd created, and as part of the focus piece on Mike Fikaris, I went back again for a dinner. In the meantime I'd heard from Laura McKelvie, another of the beautiful and talented presences there, that she was in the process of starting a new business as a tranformational life coach, and she was doing some foundational research by asking a few simple questions in conversation with volunteers who were interested in helping her on the journey. I suggested that she and I could meet on the same night I had my dinner with Mike, which led to a lovely Friday evening. I sat at the bar and watched Mike create his magic, even pairing my delicious cupcake dessert with a perfect cocktail. He's so professional and modest that I have to be quick to catch him creating - if I don't have my camera ready, the most amazing drink is on the bar in front of me before I've even noticed he's making it. A busy Friday night, a double shift on a Sunday - Mike Fikaris is able to keep the entire room happy and serve everyone with perfection. And my dinner that night was as perfect as it always is when I go to Grand Vin. They had just started serving oysters that week, so I ordered a combination of six that were divine, following that with a luscious serving of scallops and my favorite braised short ribs. Laura had just been involved with completing a new wine menu of organic wines, and she shared some tastes and pairings for each course. With those lovely cocktails and delicious wines, each taste was more than special. Although I love sitting outside at Grand Vin, I'm enjoying the experience of these colder weather months now that I know there's always a perfectly magical place at the bar.


Mike Fikaris Making Magic
At Grand Vin
500 Grand Street
Hoboken, New Jersey
























The Lovely Laura McKelvie
Sharing And Pairing Organic Wines


















Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment