Sunday, January 6, 2019

An Abundant Life - A Rare Vintage

The first time I met Mark Rosado I was visiting with the beautiful artist Katie Duffy McGeehin at Vintage On First where she was having a pop up gallery opening. I had heard of Mark and his store from several people who know my taste and style and they'd told me that there were some very nice people who had opened a vintage store on First Street in Hoboken that they thought I'd like to see. As I've written in these pages before, when I hear about a place that has alot of buzz I'm wary - I've worked in public relations and marketing in a variety of capacities with a variety of different artists, entrepreneurs and small business owners over the years, and I know that the work of public relations and marketing is to create a buzz whether or not there is anything worth buzzing about. But there are certain people who I trust, and when I heard from several of them about Vintage On First, I started thinking about when I could stop by and visit, and so when Katie invited me to her opening I was excited to see her and find out more about the store. That first afternoon was so much fun - I had thought I'd just stop by for a short time and I ended up staying into the early evening, only leaving because there was a call that came in that I had to take that I knew would take some time. I learned a bit about Mark then, and wanted to visit again for a blog post, but one thing led to another and time went by, and though I returned for more of Katie's openings and a lovely summer barbecue this past summer in his new space across the street, I didn't find my way there for the blog post I have been wanting to write until this past week right after the first of the year.

The timing was in its own way perfect, because Mark signed a long term lease in his new space a year ago, and though his own history and experience as an owner and Creative Director of his own company Top Shelf Premium Vintage is much longer and covers a wide array of gifts and talents and skills in fashion and retail and styling and has taken him to such memorable places as Miami, Brooklyn, Washington, DC, Philadelphia and beyond, this first year anniversary in this space is a special one. Mark's first lease for a store in Hoboken had been signed with a landlord who was not really a landlord, and it resulted in Mark receiving a call one day when he was out of town on business that the store was being closed and his merchandise confiscated by the real landlord of the space. Joe Castelo, long time Hoboken resident and a Partner of Antique Bar & Bakery, contacted him with an offer of neighborly help and connected him with the owner of a space where he could move to on a temporary basis. That was the original space where I first met Mark and where Katie Duffy McGeehin had invited me to her opening, and when a space across the street became available, Mark was able to sign a lease and move in. When I spoke with Mark about this story, he was full of gratitude for Joe and the other helpful neighbors and landlords and property owners who helped keep him going on his journey to this new space. Hoboken is a special place and they are all very special people, but I also know that it took the very special kind of person that Mark is to say yes to the help being offered. Someone else might have said it was too risky and decided to throw in the towel, but in a wonderful way Mark recognized the kindness, generosity and integrity of the people who were helping him and offering their support, and he honored them by matching their beautiful energy with his own.   

If you ask Mark he'll say he lives in the store, but that's not really true. He is the life of the store and the store is open long hours every day, but Mark lives a full life in the community, taking care of his son, visiting with neighbors, and planning events both small and large like the first annual First Street Block Party this past October. Mark has had a long history of connecting with people in the communities where he has lived and worked. In my first conversation with him and some subsequent ones we discovered that not only have we both lived in several of the same areas, but we also know some of the same people throughout our varied histories. I've always loved vintage stores, but so many of them can be almost too precious or overpriced because vintage has always been trendy and in style. But Mark manages to combine quality with his expert experience and sense of history to create a space to enjoy a few moments, an hour or two, or an afternoon into evening. There is always something to discover in his store, and always many things that inspire. He opens his space to artists like Katie and also other entrepreneurs and small business owners to help support their business growth and outreach. His own knowledge, experience and history are vast, and visiting him in his store can be educational and inspiring on many levels. He's a great conversationalist with a positive and upbeat philosophy of life, and the clothing on his racks, the events and parties he is involved with and the every day environment in his store are reasons that will keep you wanting to walk down First Street any day to check in and see what's happening.

   

Mark Rosado
At Vintage On First
257  First Street
Hoboken, New Jersey












Artisanal Soaps
From Savannah Hope Studio




Artwork By Katie Duffy McGeehin

Jannie Wolff And Katie Duffy McGeehin
With Katie's Gorgeous Painting
A Beautiful Discovery Of A Beautiful Artist's Work
At The First Annual First Street Block Party
With More Beautiful Discoveries
To Inspire Every Day










A Rainbow Of Colorful Clothing
Carefully Curated With More Of The Beautiful Artwork
Of Katie Duffy McGeehin










Blessings,

Jannie Susan

2 comments:

  1. I have to check this vintage store out!
    -HRM-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place and Mark is wonderful as you are :)

      Delete