Sunday, December 8, 2019

An Abundant Life - Hand Crafted

The first time I tasted one of the craft brews from Departed Soles, I was at Antique Bar & Bakery in Hoboken for Thanksgiving. At the time I was writing a blog about the restaurant, and when I arrived to take photographs of Executive Chef Paul Gerard preparing the meal with his staff, he had one of the waitresses bring me a beer in a perfect glass. As I've written in these pages before, Chef Paul Gerard is the art of perfection himself in everything he creates, including the design in his restaurant and everything served in it. But at the time I was just getting to know him, and though I knew that if he had something in his restaurant it would be very good, I didn't yet fully understand that in order for it to be there it had to be extraordinary. I'm not much of a beer drinker when it comes to my own choice - I tend to like things with flavor and richness and depth, and many times the average beer that's available at bars and restaurants and events is just not that exciting to me, and so I opt for wine or even just water if average beer is all there is. But of course this was Antique Bar & Bakery where nothing is average and everything is outstanding, and part of the meal that day involved the carefully selected craft brews from Departed Soles. I don't know what I had that day because it was brought to me at my table, but it was one of the most delicious beers I've had and it was memorable. The meal itself was exquisite and the best Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had, my own favorites made with the skill and perfection that Chef Paul Gerard always exhibits. I wrote about that meal in my blog, and afterward had it in my mind that I wanted to find Departed Soles, and then one day when I was planning to pick up some craft beer to share with a craft brew aficionado friend who was coming to town, I stopped by Bucket & Bay at 150 Bay Street in Jersey City for a scoop of gelato, and noticed the sign for Departed Soles next door and the rest as they say is history.

Departed Soles beer is beyond any that I've ever tried, and because of my aficionado friend I've had access to some exceptional craft and local brews from many different areas over the years. The Brewmaster Brian Kulbacki is always busy dreaming up and creating fun, inventive and superbly delicious blends of ingredients and flavors, and he has also created the first New Jersey Craft Beer with 100% Gluten free ingredients. On a daily basis they have so many different varieties, and though I have my favorites I'm always trying and discovering something new. Every batch they make is able to please the most discerning palates, and they also make sure that they're creating richly flavorful brews that anyone could love. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and with the help of Brant who I met on that first day and have relied on the advice of ever after, I was able to find several brews that my friend enjoyed so much that when she came back to town for another visit she asked if we could go there. Having such an amazing place as part of the regular every day life of Jersey City has added to what I already have seen and experienced before - Jersey City Rocks and the people and places there add up to a culinary and creative adventure like no other.


Departed Soles Brewing Company
150 Bay Street
Jersey City, New Jersey
http://departedsoles.com/
  

Artwork By New Jersey Artist MustArt


 A Taste Of Departed Soles At Home

And Away From Home
 
 
Paired With Misunderstood Whiskey

 

Perfect In Any Season









Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment