Sunday, July 17, 2016

An Abundant Life - A Healthy Heart

I've written about Dawn Pascale in these pages before, and I caught up with her recently to talk about Bklyn Buttah, a coconut-based, non-dairy alternative to traditional butter. Dawn is the owner of the delicious and delightful Om Sweet Home, in her words, "A Hoboken-based, baked goods company specializing in plant-based/gluten-free desserts & cakes." Dawn writes, "Bklyn Buttah is the staple in all of our baked goods." I am a baker by family tradition, and though I am not vegan, I do use coconut oil and alternatives to animal based products in my cooking and baking at times because I also teach nutrition and health and work with many people who are looking for healthy alternatives because of personal diet and lifestyle choices, religious observances, or health reasons. Dawn is one of my favorite people, and though I know by personal experience how delicious her baked goods are, I wanted to try Bklyn Buttah in my own kitchen before writing about it. I was sure it was going to be a great product, but I was unprepared for its true greatness. Not only is it delicious, but it has the perfect qualities for cooking and baking that traditional bakers rely on with traditional butter. I fried an egg in it, sauteed beets in it, and I made a banana tea bread with a recipe from my Nana's Craig Claiborne New York Times Cookbook that was perfection. Bklyn Buttah is so delicious and healthy that I even indulged in topping warm pieces of the tea bread with it, something I would never do with traditional butter. Bklyn Buttah will keep refrigerated for three months and frozen for six months, though if you're like me it won't last nearly that long. Dawn is so lovely I love to support her business, and with a product like this my heart can be as healthy as hers is beautiful.

Dawn Pascale, Owner of Om Sweet Home
At bwe kafe With Her Bklyn Buttah


Bklyn Buttah At Home In My Kitchen


Banana Tea Bread From My Nana's Craig Claiborne Cookbook


Part Of A Heart Healthy Breakfast Made With Love

Banana Tea Bread - Modified From The New York Times Cook Book By Craig Claiborne

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (or flour of your choice)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Bklyn Buttah (or butter or butter alternative of your choice)
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 Eggs, well beaten (or you can substitute one tablespoon of flax seed meal and three tablespoons of water for each egg for egg free diets)
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 bananas, depending on size)

1. Preheat oven to moderate (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. Thoroughly mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
3. Using your fingers, cut in the butter or butter alternative.
4. Add the eggs and bananas and beat well (this can be done by hand).
5. Pour into a well greased bread or cake pan or muffin tin and bake about one hour and ten minutes.

Enjoy!

Blessings,

Jannie Susan



No comments:

Post a Comment