Sunday, July 23, 2017

An Abundant Life - Mind Mapping

A friend was talking to me recently about the concept of mind mapping, and though I hadn't specifically learned about it using those words, when he described it to me, I knew that I'd had the experience before in some of the trainings that I've done in community development. It's a way to brainstorm and a way to help ourselves think, both individually and collectively as a group, and if both free flowing and guided in a structured way, it can open our minds to new ideas and strengthen our ability to see the connections that help us get from here to there.

I met Quentin Williamston at 107 Bowers Gallery & ArtSpace where he has his work in a group show, and on one of the afternoons that the gallery was open to visitors, I sat down with him to talk and find out more about his work and his inspirations. Our conversation lasted much longer than I had expected, and when I started to think about how I would describe Quentin, the idea of mind mapping came into my mind. As we talked that afternoon, we discussed both of our histories and experiences and inspirations, and it was a free flowing discussion that moved through hopes and dreams and goals while also being structured within the guidelines of a conversation that focused on art and creativity. When I walked out the door into the golden afternoon I felt somehow lighter, the enthusiasm and creative energy that Quentin has touched something in my sometimes tired and heavy feeling mind that brought new life again and reminded me of why I love what I love and why I do what I do and inspired me to keep on doing it. Art really is life - creativity in all forms renews us. I learned just a small amount about Quentin that afternoon because we talked so much about art, but that small amount was the pure gold that is distilled by the alchemist to make a treasure. Later when I asked Quentin for some information about his training and life, he sent me the following words:

"I am a current student/teaching artist from Clinton Hill Brooklyn, NY. I currently attend Hampton University pursuing a masters degree in Architecture. As a teaching artist, I design daytime lessons using artistic and universal inspiration. I am consistently inspired by my studious students encouraging ways to maximize ways of self expression. My hobbies include exercise, model making, painting and abstract design. I strive to use my architectural background to help people in third world countries using recyclable material in turn creating sustainable construction. My long term goal is to help the overall ecosystem using effective and sustainable design."

There's so much that's so good that's packaged up in that description, that as it unfolds I'm sure it will continue to be astonishing. In the meantime I'm blessed to have been inspired by my glimpses into this beautiful mind that sees beauty in the world around him and strives to bring it to others.

The Art Of Quentin Williamston
At 107 Bowers Gallery & ArtSpace
107  Bowers Street
Jersey City Heights, New Jersey














Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment