Sunday, February 4, 2018

An Abundant Life - An Irish Dream

Several months ago I read about an event at a restaurant where Guinness would be having pouring contests. I was very busy that day and couldn't be there that evening, but I love Guinness so much and have for such a long time, that I wanted to stop by the place where it was being held and see if I could find out more about it. It was being held at Hibernia Bar & Grill, and so after my first appointment that day, I stopped by on my way to the next and found the most inviting Irish neighborhood bar I'd seen in New York City in years. There are sports bars, and Irish themed bars, there are pubs and places where you can find Guinness on tap, but there are very few if any left any more that have remained of the places where you could just stop by and have a bite to eat, a perfect pint and some good conversation. The first day I went there it was cold and wet, with an unseasonable chill that made the warmth of the people who welcomed me seem all the brighter. I explained why I was there, and Sean Burger introduced himself to me and said that I could come back on another day and learn how pour a perfect pint from the lovely bartender Jordan Carey who welcomes new friends and old with a beautiful smile, and though I wouldn't be able to go behind the bar, that was perfect for me because I wanted to take photos to post in the blog and on Instagram. Before I left, Sean Burger showed me a mural that had just been completed on the front gate by the wonderful artist Jeremy Wolff for the upcoming UFC match. It was Conor McGregor in fighting glory, a tribute fit for a king and an out of doors covering that would protect this palace's windows during UFC matches and the other special sports events that Hibernia hosts throughout the seasons.

When I came back the second time, a few weeks later, Jordan took me through the steps of pouring a pint of Guinness, sharing that there really is some specific timing to pour and sit and pour and sit again until you top it off. She also pointed out the harp on the Guinness glass and explained how integral that is to the pour because at one of the steps you pour to the harp before you let it sit again before topping it off. I've had more than my share of pints of Guinness and though I've always enjoyed them in the past and thought I'd had some of the best, the pint that Jordan poured me that day was sublimely perfect. Though Guinness is so rich and dark, the pint Jordan poured was creamy and light, the richness and fullness of the flavor more refreshing than any I'd had. As I enjoyed my pint, I listened to the ebb and flow of conversation around me and I understood that people came into Hibernia to feel at home.

As I talked to Sean Burger and Jordan Carey, I saw that there was really delicious looking food being served, and when I asked to see a menu I was pleasantly surprised. The kitchen is located in an area not visible in the bar, so I hadn't realized that they had such a full selection to offer. They told me that they served Irish Breakfast, something that I've never had anywhere, and when I heard they served it all day I told them I wanted to come back to try that before I wrote the blog post. It took me a few months because I wanted to save my appetite for a time when I was really hungry, and then one night when I was meeting a very dear long time friend on 9th Avenue I decided that it was the perfect time. My friend and I weren't sure what we were in the mood for, and as we walked I remembered that Irish Breakfast. It was 6:00pm on a cold day after Thanksgiving, and I couldn't think of a better way to share some time with a good friend. It was perfect and delicious and of course more than enough, and with a perfect pint poured by the lovely Jordan, my Irish dream of an evening was made complete. Whether for the big games, the big fights, the larger special events or smaller more intimate afternoons or evenings, Hibernia Bar & Grill is always a wonderful place to find yourself.


Hibernia Bar & Grill
401 West 50th Street
New York City


The Charming Sean Burger

And The Beautiful Jordan Carey

Always A Perfect Pint








Complete With The Perfect T-Shirt

Irish Breakfast Served All Day














Jeremy Wolff's Wonderful Tribute
To Conor McGregor








Blessings,

Jannie

No comments:

Post a Comment