Sunday, July 2, 2023

An Abundant Life - Uniquely Made

When people ask me what I look for when I am choosing art as a curator, for myself, or for my gallery, I have started to try to identify what it is that draws me in to want to share a piece with others. I would say that it is something to do with beauty, and it is, but it is more than that, and what I have begun to identify is that there is something in certain work by certain Artists that is unique to them, an expression of themselves that is only found in their work.

Though that may seem like a very simple thing, it's honestly not. Artists of all kinds are vulnerable to listing to the feedback of others, and people can turn and change ideas self expression in a heartbeat with a word of critique that goes to the most tender place of a creative soul. Sometimes the person giving the feedback doesn't mean anything more than just giving their opinion, but even then sometimes that opinion can take away from giving the Artist freedom to explore what it is that is their own unique voice.

When I begin to choose work to show at YES Gallery, I go to the Artist's studio if possible. If it's not, I have some kind of meeting with them, either at the gallery or in some other place where we can really talk about their work. And then as I begin the process, I look at everything they want to show me, taking time to listen to how they present and describe it. Often, and this is something that goes back to what I describe as listening for their unique voice, I find that there are some pieces that I ask about that might not be as easily visible as others that are presented to me. There might be a piece tucked in a corner, or propped against the wall instead of hanging with the others that are being presented. I remember one Artist who I was visiting with who had some pieces in a corner of the studio propped against the wall on the floor. When I asked what they were he told me they were old work from a time when he was first starting to explore what became a signature style, and I loved them. This happens sometimes, that it's the older work that intrigues me, or sometimes if it's newer, it's a one-off piece that the Artist tells me is something they're not sure what it is or what to do with it next. Those are the pieces I often find myself wanting to show and share at YES Gallery.

This past week I had some new work come in from different Artists, and as always it surprises and delights me how easily the pieces begin conversations with the other work there. As I spoke with the Artists who were bringing in work, what kept emerging in the conversations was the voice that was unique to them that was appearing in the work that is now in the gallery. This is the voice that draws me in, that excites and inspires me and makes me want to share the work with others. It's a voice that only that Artist has, and one that cannot be replicated by anyone else. It is unique to them as the work is uniquely created, envisioned and made.


Some New Views
At YES Gallery
408 6th Street
Hoboken, New Jersey














Blessings,

Jannie Susan 

No comments:

Post a Comment