Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Here Comes The Sun!

It’s going to be close to 80 degrees today. Over the weekend I cleared out my little garden area and did some planting. It’s a small space right near my door, and now when I come in or go out I can smell the hyacinths that are blooming. It was such a long cold winter! The hyacinths bloomed much later this year. They started to come up, but didn’t bud for so long. Other plants that are usually blooming by now are just starting to show signs of life. It was so cold for so long, and then yesterday it was 70 degrees. I keep thinking of that George Harrison song, “Here comes the sun, and I say, it’s all right. Little darlin’ it’s been a long cold lonely winter. Little darlin’ it seems like years since it’s been here." The streets were full of people enjoying the day. It seemed like a different city. “Little darlin’ the smiles returning to the faces. Little darlin’ it feels like years since it’s been here.” I found myself being able to laugh at silly things again, “Here comes the sun, and I say it’s all right.”

There’s a guided meditation I learned from a fitness instructor that I adapted for the health and wellness classes I teach. At the end of it, the visualization is that you’re lying in the sun after a swim in a beautiful lake, and you’re letting the sun warm and dry you from the top of your head down to your toes. As the sun hits each place, you release any physical or emotional pain and allow the sun to heal those places. For me, this is the way that God works in our lives when we rest in Him and let Him touch those places that are painful with His healing love. On these beautiful sun-filled days after the long cold lonely winter, the visualization becomes real.

In my research for my work in wellness over the past few months, one of the things that keeps coming up again and again is how much our emotional, psychological, and physical wellness are linked. I haven’t been sick in a number of years, ever since I was born again, but this past winter, while the promises of God have been lingering out of reach, I got the flu twice in a row. I was fine because my immune system is strong and I’m in very good shape because of the work that I do now and the way I live my life now, but it was such a strong illness that lasted for weeks and then came back again and wouldn’t let go. Even back in the days of my prodigal daughter life, when I wasn’t living in a healthy way in any way, there was only one time that I was sicker than I was this past winter, and that was after my father died. Thank God for the sun. It healed me then and it’s healing me now. “Little darlin’ I feel that ice is slowly melting. Little darlin’ it feels like years since it’s been clear. Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say, it’s all right.”

Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment