Monday, July 22, 2013

La Pastora

A few years ago I sat down to dinner with a Catholic Priest friend of mine. We had met a few months before at a Healing Mass that he presides over and he had invited me to a Vespers service at another church. We were near the first apartment I’d ever lived in when I first moved to New York more than 20 years ago, and we decided to eat dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant I’d been to many times back then. It was still there and the food and atmosphere hadn’t changed a bit. Surprisingly enough the prices hadn’t changed much either. Ethiopian food is eaten in a communal way – you order several dishes and they all arrive on the same large tray on top of some of the most delicious spongy bread I’ve ever eaten. There’s more bread to use to eat the food – you eat it with your hands, using the bread to pick it up with. I don’t really know if the bread is really that delicious, but the combination of foods that soak into it make it taste amazing.

Over dinner we started talking about the ministry I’d been working with that I had recently left. I had been working with them for three years, in every part of the ministry outreach, as the director of their after school program, and a coordinator for donations for the soup kitchen and other ministries. I was writing grants and organizing and coordinating things, bringing in funding and volunteers. I was involved in so much of the ministry and I was in church almost every day of the week. The Lord had been opening up the windows of Heaven and pouring out blessings and opening doors. And then all of a sudden, one day He told me that I had to leave. My first response was, “But what about the children? What about the doors you’ve opened? What about the work that I have been doing? Who is going to take care of the children? Who is going to be there for them? What are you doing? Why did you send me there only to take me away?” And His response was, “You’re not leaving the children, I’m just expanding your territory.” At the time I couldn’t understand how that could be. As I saw it, leaving the ministry meant leaving the children. But He was so firm that I had to go, and He gave me a word at that time that I’ll never forget. As I rode the bus one last time to the after school program to meet with the Pastors and hand in my keys, He said, “Unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies it produces many seeds.” (John 12:24) When Jesus says this, He is talking about His going to the Cross, but when He said it to me, He wanted me to know that the work that I had been doing needed to die in my life so that I could move into the next place where He was taking me. If I had stayed where I was, the work that I was doing would not grow into the work that He had planned for me to do.
As I sat over dinner with the Priest and told him about how difficult it had been for me to leave the children, and how difficult it still was for me because it had only happened a few months before and I had not yet moved into that new place that the Lord had planned for me, he said, “La Pastora,” which is Spanish for a woman Pastor. The moment he said it, I saw a picture in my mind of a book of Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes that my Nana had given me for my first birthday. The picture for Little Bo Peep was my favorite picture always, from the moment I first started to recognize images, before I ever even learned how to read or understand what the words meant. “Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep and doesn’t know where to find them.” The picture was of the shepherdess with her staff, looking off into the distance, trying to find her lost sheep. The Priest I was talking to is Irish Catholic, and so was my Nana. They have similar features, and I could see in his blue eyes, her eyes from years long past. She is no longer alive, but she is the one who used to take me to church sometimes, long before I ever understood what or why people went to church for. She had become Episcopalian, and was very devout, and since I was born again I always feel like she’s smiling every time I take communion. When I was a child and I’d go to church with her, she always took me up to the altar, but she told me that I couldn’t take communion because I wasn’t baptized. I never understood what it was all about, but I always felt as if she were somehow so sad that I couldn’t take communion. Now I feel like she is smiling, beaming, over every part of my life because God is there everywhere and she is right there with Him, seeing the ways that I am growing in Him.

When the Priest said, La Pastora, the tears came so suddenly to my eyes that I gasped. The Holy Spirit comes to me sometimes like that – all of a sudden, in a place or time when I'm least expecting Him. I told the Priest about the picture and my book and my Nana, but I couldn’t speak much more except to say that there was something very deep in me that was being healed right then and there. I felt as if the Lord was speaking to me that the calling He'd placed over my life had been there always, and that He was confirming that calling.
In the work I do now, the Lord has brought back the children. I’m back in their neighborhood and I see them and sometimes work at sites where they and their parents are. And there are more children and more adults, more lost sheep every day that He has me reach out to with His love. I was telling a friend of mine that he is the one sheep that the Shepherd left His flock of 99 to go find (Luke 15:3-5), and there are so many of them that He goes looking for because “He is not willing that any should perish (2 Peter 3:9). In the Parable of the Lost Sheep, Jesus talks about the way that the Shepherd rejoices when that one lost sheep is found again, and I have had those moments of rejoicing with Him. There are also times when I am waiting for His salvation and His deliverance in someone’s life. There are times when I am praying and praying and doing all that I can do, but what I can do just doesn’t seem enough. Those are the times when I know that I have to trust Him that He will do what He has promised, that the word He has spoken over that person’s life will not return void but will accomplish what He desires and achieve the purpose for which He sent it. (Isaiah 55:11). There are times when He has had me speak that word and other times when He has had me confirm it to someone when it has been spoken already. There are also times when He has me repeat a word when someone He has spoken over has forgotten it.

We are in a battle, for life or death, sometimes people forget about that. We can go to church and praise the Lord, but we can be the walking dead if we have somehow gone astray. We can love God and want to walk with Him but be too weak to do it in the face of temptation or addictions. We can be so caught up in the lies of the enemy that we don’t hear the word of God over our lives, or if we hear it we don’t believe it. A shepherd carries only a staff, but there is power in that staff if it belongs to the True Shepherd. The staff helps to keep us walking, it helps to steady us on rough and rocky ground, it is a reminder of who we belong to and that His great love for us is the most powerful weapon there is.
If you are thinking that God has forgotten you, think again. He will go wherever He needs to go to find you and bring you home again. Sometimes He’ll come in the form of a woman who feels a tug in her heart for a group of children, sometimes He’ll come to find us in the least likely of places. Wherever you are, He’ll find you, and all you have to do is climb into His arms and come home.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment