Monday, September 9, 2013

A Perfect Gift Of Love

Someone asked me the other day if I knew any professional matchmakers. She was not really joking, at least I don’t think so, but maybe she was, or maybe she was just letting me know that if I knew anyone I could set her up with she’d be happy to hear about it. It was such a surprise to hear because she is a very beautiful woman with so much to offer to any man, very intelligent, has her own business, is very kind and supportive – but somehow even with all this going for her she hasn’t been able to find the right man yet. She looks very young, but in our conversation it seemed that she may be older than she looks, but I’m sure she’s still fairly young although she may be at that time of life when women start to wonder if they don’t get married soon they might not ever. I’ve never had that worry because I never wanted to get married before I knew the Lord, and then when I was born again He threw me into ministry so much and so fully that I didn’t really have time to think about it. But I know that for many women that is one of the hardest things – there is an age we get to when we’re still young and vibrant and full of life, but men don’t necessarily see it that way.

When this woman asked me if I knew a professional matchmaker I was taken a bit by surprise and so I asked her why she was asking. When she told me it was for herself, I told her that I did know people who loved to fix people up but that I’d found that God was the best matchmaker of all. He brings people together who are meant to be together – He knows each one of us and what our needs are, He knows us through and through, and even those things that no one else knows, He knows. When we trust Him to do the matchmaking, He’ll bring someone into our lives that we would have never imagined and someone who is just perfect for us.
After I said that to this beautiful woman, I told her that while she was waiting there were things that God might want her to be doing. She said, I know, I know, dealing with my own stuff, but that wasn’t really what I meant, though it is a part of it. I know for myself, that’s something that He’s had to work with me on, but it wasn’t a negative thing at all and I didn’t mean it that way for this woman either. I told her that He might want her to be discovering just what her gifts were that she would be bringing to this relationship – I said that she had many gifts and maybe she didn’t even know herself what they all were. She said that she thought that the real problem was that other people didn’t see her the way she really was, that there was something about the way she presented herself that made other people think she was a snob or stuck up or cold. I smiled when she said that because that had always been the way some people saw me before I was born again, and it was really just because I was very shy. I told her that there is something called discernment that God gives to us so that we can see who people really are behind whatever it is that they project, and she said, oh, I get it, He’ll make it so that the right man will see me for who I really am, and I said, yes, that’s exactly what happens.

Sometimes there are things about ourselves that we don’t even see, but God has put them there and He will show them to other people who need to know. There are other things that people see that we don’t know about – they’ll see His Spirit and either be drawn to it or it will be something that makes whatever spirits that are around them angry and hateful. A Pastor friend of mine once said that there would be people who would be drawn to me because of His Spirit and I’d have to be careful to make sure I always pointed them to Him because they might mistake the feelings they felt for His Spirit to be feelings of love for me. I’ve had that happen sometimes with men I know were not meant to be in that kind of relationship with me, and it’s very hard when it happens. You don’t want to be cruel to someone but you also know you have to say no. It was the same before I was born again, and now even though I know why it happens it isn’t any easier. I’ll tell people over and over again that it’s not me they’re feeling love for but His Spirit in me, and even when they’re Christians they still don’t believe me. Romantic love is so complex.
There was a J. Geils Band song called Love Stinks that kind of says it all in the worldly sense of love, “You love her, and she loves him, but he loves somebody else, now you just can’t win.” That’s one of the things about this thing we call love, for some reason it can get all messed up and mess us up. But there is another way to experience love, and after I was born again and I started to understand the love of God, I started to have the ability to love in a new way. God loves us with an unconditional love, a love that is complete and that fills us and nurtures us and that never ends, and when we start to accept that love, we can start to feel fulfilled in a way we have never felt before. When we know a love like that, we won’t be looking for love from anywhere else to fulfill us because we don’t need anything more than God.

God does want us to have relationships and marriage, He does want us to be in love relationships with people as family and friends and husbands and wives and children and parents. He is love and He wants us to experience love fully, in all of its many positive forms of expression. But it is only when we know His love in our lives that we can truly begin to love others. It is only when we know His kind of love that we can begin to give that same love to another.
The love that the J. Geils Band sang about is not really love, at least not in the way I understand it now that I have begun to receive the love of God in my own life. Loving someone in an unrequited way is pure torture, and that really isn’t love at all. God will never bring someone into your life to torture you – if they’re from Him, they’ll be a blessing of love in your life. If they’re not from Him you can know it, because that’s when the pain will come. Proverbs 10:22 says, “The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it.” James 1:17 tells us, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” When we know the Father of the heavenly lights, we know we can trust Him to bring the perfect gifts to us, to bless us with the right person at the right time, a perfect gift who we will be a perfect gift to also.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment