Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sweet Water

When I was at the supermarket yesterday, there were two mistakes that were made in my favor. One of my coupons for a dollar was scanned twice and one of the things I bought wasn’t scanned at all. The total amount of the error was $3.49, and years ago, before I was born again, I would have just walked out the door gleefully thinking how lucky I was and that I deserved it gosh darn it because things cost so much anyway. And I probably wouldn’t have been saying gosh darn it, but that’s a whole other story. There was a lot of bitter water in my well in those days.

But instead of doing what I once would have done, I did what I have done for a while now. When I noticed that a mistake had been made I told the cashier because I didn’t want him to be short in his till. He had already closed out the transaction and so he told me I’d have to go to Customer Service which I did, after making sure that wouldn’t be causing him a problem either. When I got to Customer Service, I think they thought I was from another planet. Who in their right mind tells the store when they’ve made a mistake like that? The woman who helped me kept saying thank you and I just kept saying that I would have been there if they owed me money, so why should it be any different the other way around?
But it is different somehow, at least in the mind of someone like me once upon a time when I didn’t have the mind of Christ. I still slip up sometimes when I’m not paying attention, but these days I have to do the right thing the minute I realize what that right thing is. I know I’ll just feel bad if I don’t fix what’s wrong, and who needs to feel bad over something you have the power to change? But people do every day, even people who say they know the Lord. Something happens, a mistake is made, they cover for it and then they find themselves needing to cover somewhere else and the next thing you know they’re just making things up as they go along.

There was a movie that I don’t remember the name of where the lead character, a man who was played by a comedian I think, couldn’t tell a lie. Even if what he said was going to insult someone, he had to say it. But that’s not the kind of truth I’m talking about. The truth can be said in a way that is hurtful or it can be said with love. It may still not be what the person who hears it wants to hear because we’re saying something that they – and we – wish didn’t need to be said, but it doesn’t need to be said in a way that is meant to hurt. The example I remember from the ads for the movie – I didn’t see it, but the ads were out all over the place – was that a woman he was in a relationship with – maybe a wife or a girlfriend, I really don’t know – asked him if something she was wearing made her look fat and he said yes. That’s an awkward question to answer at best, but even that question can be answered with love. If it doesn’t look good we can say, “It’s not the best style for you,” or if it does look good and they look good we can say so and add that they don’t need to worry about their weight because they’re beautiful the way they are. People’s body images are all messed up because of the media, but that really is another story, one that I could go on for days about, so I’m not going to get started. My point is that most of the time people just need reassurance that they’re loved, and saying something kind and supportive is always a good plan.
There’s someone who I know who has forgotten the importance of not judging others, and it shows up in every place imaginable. I’ve started to wonder if that lesson was ever learned because of some of the things that are being said and done while all the while this person listens to sermons and reads Christian books all day long. The strangest thing to me is that they don’t see anything wrong with what they’re doing. They think they’re just being “honest and truthful and bringing correction where it’s needed.” The very way they talk to people is condescending and judgmental, and there’s a batting of the eyes that goes on that is an extraordinary display of sarcasm. How can a person who claims to know Christ talk to anyone with sarcasm and criticize them to the point of tearing them down to tears and think that’s all right? But when their attention is brought to the fact that yes, indeed, people are being made miserable, they bat they’re eyes again and say they just don’t know how that could be.

James 3:8-11 puts it this way, “But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way. Does a fountain send out from its opening both fresh and bitter water?”
Matthew 12:34 tells us, “Out of the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.” When I just looked that up, I found this delightful website, Deep Truths, http://deeptruths.com/random-dm/304.html. Under that passage I read these words, “We’re the vessels of His Love to pour out His Love to others. It’s all the Lord, it’s all His Love, but He needs someone to work through.” It continues in the next paragraph, “’Open your mouth,’ the Bible says, ‘and He will fill it.’ (Psalm 81:10) But where does He fill it from? He fills it from your heart. If you have filled your heart beforehand, if you’re full of the Spirit, if you’re full of His Love, His Spirit and knowledge of His Word, the message you want to get across to others, when you open your mouth He’ll fill it, right out of your heart!” The writer makes the comparison of a water faucet, writing, “When you turn on a faucet, the faucet is not doing the work! It’s the power from outside that causes the water to flow effortlessly through the faucet!” And it ends with these wonderful words, “If you’re full of the Spirit, full of prayer, full of the Lord, full of the Word, then you can just let it roll! Ask God to turn you on and it will flow! You’ll be amazed, it will be beautiful!”

I love all the exclamation points the writer uses. You can tell how much joy and energy and life force are present in that heart. And like that faucet it just flows effortlessly, creating its own force and power in the heart of the reader. We all have that power with our words – we can give others an infilling of life and love, of joy and peace, we can strengthen people and help encourage and lift them up. Or we can do the opposite, and tear them down and condescend and bring them down beneath us. But be careful if you choose that unsupportive road, because those very people have been made in the image of God, and their Lord and Father will make sure to let you know just whose child you’re talking to.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment