Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Personal Recipes

I made pesto last night, something that I try to do every year, though I think there may have been a few years sprinkled here and there when things were so topsy turvy in my life that I wasn’t able to do it. Times when there was so much upheaval, or times when I didn’t have the money to buy the ingredients – pesto doesn’t take much, but there have been times when I haven’t even had that little bit extra. Thinking back on those times makes me want to shout Hallelujah! because those times are past and I was able to make my pesto and enjoy it in peace. There may come another time when I can’t make it for some reason, but now that I’m walking with the Lord, I know that if that happens, the reason will be a good one.

I learned how to make pesto from an actor who I met my first year in New York. I was doing an internship with a theater company, and he was in the cast of the first play of my first season with the company. It was a man’s man kind of play, with a cast full of big tough guys, but they were all really nice to work with. They were tough all right, but they treated the interns like gold, and this one actor brought in a big container of pesto and a few loaves of fresh Italian bread one day during rehearsals and told us all to eat as much as we wanted to. I don’t know if I’d ever had pesto before that day, but even if I had, I’d never had it as delicious. When I asked him how he made it, he said he made it every year around that time – it was just this time of the year – and that he’d make a big batch of it and freeze it in smaller containers to have until the next basil harvesting season came along. He said he took a huge bunch of basil, and a handful of pignoli nuts, about a quarter cup each of olive oil and parmesan cheese in a chunk. He said the secret he’d learned from his mother was to use a combination of parmesan and romano cheese because the romano gave it an extra kick somehow. He’d put it all in a blender and that was all there was to it. The next fall I tried it myself, and at the time I was house sitting for another actor, a woman and her husband this time, and when I told them I was planning to make pesto, she told me that her secret was to add a few of the flower heads of the plants which I do now whenever I have the chance.
Recipes are something that I collect because I love to cook and there are so many different types of food that I love to try everything I can, and when I can get a recipe from a person it’s much more fun than trying to make it from a cook book. I use cook book recipes too, but I love the personal touches that people tell you about, and I’ve found that they really do make a difference in the flavor of the meals I make. And people’s recipes are really personal in other ways too – we remember the way that we learned how to make something, and we remember the person who taught us. When we share recipes, very often it’s words like “I add a handful of pignoli nuts,” or “I throw in a few of the flowering tops, not too many, because they’re really strong.” What’s a handful or a few? How do we know what people are talking about? But somehow we figure it out, and in the process we make the recipe our own.

There really is no one way that we come to know the Lord. There is no recipe that works exactly the same for everyone. When I describe my testimony to people, they very often look at me in wide-eyed disbelief, because so much of what happened and what I did on the way was so very much out of the way of how we would think God works. At the time when I was born again, I was living above an Irish bar. I wasn’t going to church, and I had not expressed any interest in going to one in the least. That was the last thing on my mind in those days. I might go into a church for some reason, but it definitely wasn’t to talk to God, or even to see if He was interested in talking to me. God was not on my mind at all in any way, except on the occasions when things would go terribly wrong and then I’d find myself begging for help. He always answered, too, and when He answered, I didn’t even have the grace to say thank you. I’d just think how lucky I was and that I must be such a good person to have all that luck, and go about my business doing the same old things all over again. I was clueless – clueless about who I was and what my life was like, and clueless about the reasons for the grace that appeared again and again and again. But finally there came a time when I’d gotten to the end of my rope one more time, but this time was different. This time the Lord came knocking in a way that was impossible to ignore.
Pastor Rick Warren writes in “The Purpose Driven Life” that sometimes God comes knocking gently at first but when we don’t listen he’ll get louder and louder and sometimes He has to come with a jack hammer. I’m paraphrasing, but when I read that I laughed so loud and long because that’s exactly what had happened to me. By the time I was born again, the house around me was literally being close to bulldozed. There was a huge construction site next door and there were jackhammers all day long. Windows were being broken and walls bashed in all around me. I was lucky to get out alive.

At the time that all of that was happening, I found out that someone was doing Santeria against me, so everything in my life was being destroyed. When I finally recognized that the Lord was calling to me through this mess and that His was the only door I could safely walk through, I got out of that house and into a temporary apartment in Brooklyn. At that point I’d lived in Manhattan for more than 20 years, so I didn’t know anything else. I started walking around Bed Stuy in a daze, trying to figure out where exactly Dorothy had ended up after the cyclone had finally let her down. One of the places I walked past one day was a Botanica, a place where you could meet with a Santero and do Santeria. I didn’t know a thing at that time about God’s commands against witchcraft – all I knew was that someone was doing Santeria against me and I needed help and it seemed to me that was the best place to go. I didn’t know what I know now, that we don’t even need that kind of help when we have Jesus. All the Santeria in the world doesn’t have a chance against Him. The woman who had told me about the Santeria being done against me was a psychic healer I talked to, and she said that there was something protecting me that the people doing it couldn’t figure out what it was. She didn’t even know herself, she just knew it was something more powerful than anything or anyone else. It amazes me that He protects us even when we’re not even aware of Him at all. It amazes me that He went to the cross for us before we ever knew Him or what that sacrifice meant. It amazes me that He helps us when we are completely clueless and hopeless and are asking everyone for help except for Him. Amazing grace.
So I walked into the Botanica and met with the Santero. He did a reading for me and said basically the same things that had been told to me by the other woman I had talked to. He invited me to a party they were having and I went – it was an experience I’ll never forget, and though I know now that I never should have been there, I’m glad I experienced it because it’s important to know that those things are real. I hear people every day talking about the different rituals they’re doing, and I see the Botanicas flourishing in all kinds of neighborhoods. Every day there are people just as clueless as I was thinking they need that kind of help, not knowing that there is real danger there and the help that is on offer comes at a huge price and really isn’t help at all. At some point that evening some man who was prophesying from some very dark spirit told me that I needed to be washed and made clean. He was right, but I didn’t need the help of the Santero to do that. All I needed was the blood of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit, but I didn’t know that at the time, so I signed up for a cleansing bath because it seemed like a good idea. It’s so easy to get caught up in something like that – for all their dark energy, these people seemed like they were really trying to help me – they seemed like they were my friends. All I can say again is thank God for Jesus, because if He hadn’t been sitting at the right hand of God interceding for me, I’d be toast by now.

The cleansing took place in three parts. The first two were simple washings with my clothes on and water poured over my head that had some kind of herbs and leaves in it. Santeria is based in Christianity, so there are things they do that echo things like baptism, but it is very dark and full of negative energy – when I was baptized a year later the experience was so completely different that there isn’t even any comparison. The third bath included being rubbed all over with a live pigeon. It took a while for me to get to that third bath because the Santero was having a hard time finding a white pigeon and it had to be white without spots – again, an echo of Old Testament sacrifices and the coming of the Holy Spirit as a white dove from heaven when Jesus was baptized. I remember asking the Santero if he was going to kill the pigeon – I told him if he was I didn’t want to go through with it. I even told him I’d pay for everything, but I didn’t want him killing any pigeons for me. He told me he let the pigeon go free afterward, so I went ahead and we finished it when he finally got the right kind of pigeon.
In some papers that I found when I was cleaning in my apartment the other night I found these notes from that time for a story that I was starting to write, “Something has to change in your life when you’re rubbed all over by a Cuban witch doctor with a live pigeon.” “In order to find God you have to meet the devil.” And then I found this one – someone had described the Santero as a used car salesman, and I wrote, “And maybe that’s all he was. But I’m a used car, right? I needed to be sold to myself.”

There is no one recipe for coming back home to God. I didn't need to be sold to anyone because the price was paid on the cross at Calvary, and the blood of Jesus is there for our salvation and healing any time we want to receive it. I was His all along - He'd already paid the price - but all those days when I was looking for healing from any place except for Him, He patiently waited, knocking softly sometimes, bringing the jackhammer at others, walking with me into the Botanica to let me find out for myself just what a waste of time and money it was, letting me start to feel how dark it was too, so that I could know the difference when I finally started to receive His light.
There is no right way to come to know the Lord – for each of us it is different and unique as we are each different and unique. For each of us, we can know with certainty that no matter what mistaken roads we take, we will get there because that is His will for us. And when we get there, whatever has been in our past is past, and no matter what anyone else thinks, it is what God says that matters. “Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died – more than that, who was raised to life – is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.” He cared enough to go to the cross, and He cares enough to walk with us into every wrong door we go through until we finally open our eyes and see the door that He’s holding open and walk through it with Him.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment