Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Shout!

In my email inbox last night there was a notification for the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, something that is open to students in grades 7-12. I used to be the director of an after school program, and so I get all of these different announcements for student programs, and I like to know what’s out there so I can let other programs I work with now know about them. But this particular email brought back some really sweet memories, and along with some of the things I have been experiencing lately, it was a perfect fit to some of the things the Lord has been showing me about how much my life has changed.

When I was a teenager, in seventh or maybe eighth grade, I heard about the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards for the first time. At least I think it was the same program, although even if it wasn’t it was one so similar that reading the email brought it all back. I loved to sing and I had a male friend in those days who loved to sing too – no romantic interest whatsoever, we were just good friends and we loved to sing and sometimes sang together in choir or for student shows and things like that. When we heard about the Scholastic Art and Writing Award, or whatever it was that we heard about back then, we decided somehow to write a song together, though I don’t think that either of us had ever written a song. My friend may have – he was always surprising me with his creative talents, but I know that I’d never written a song or anything else except for papers for school, and oh, yes, I did once write a play in elementary school – it was about the battle of 1776 I think, again for some contest or other. I’d forgotten all about that until right now – a foreshadowing of the future, of me at a much older age writing plays. But up until my friend and I decided somehow to write a song I’d never written one before. But that didn’t stop us, so write away we did.
It was a very sappy song as I remember it. I still have a tape of it somewhere, and listened to it not too long ago, maybe a couple of years back, but it seems like yesterday. It was a love song about a knight in silver and all sorts of allusions and plays on words with night and knight – I can’t believe we took ourselves so seriously, but God bless us we did. And that’s one of the things that the Lord has been speaking to me about lately – not about taking ourselves seriously in the sense of being serious and sad, and not about writing sappy and sentimentally silly songs, but about the fact that even though the song was most probably a bunch of teen-aged geeky silliness, I wasn’t afraid or ashamed to go ahead and write it. I was the one who wrote the lyrics if I’m remembering correctly – the title was “Silver Knights,” and I was the one who had the brainy idea to call it that. But what the Lord has been talking to me about is that I wasn’t afraid to do it, I wasn’t afraid to write it, to sing it with my friend and send it into a contest. I think we even sang it at some school assembly or something, the  memory is vague, but I think that did happen.

Fear is something that can be debilitating. At the very least it will hold us back from trying something new, and at the very worst it can keep us from all that God has for us. When we are living with fear and doubt, we will sometimes decide that we are much more comfortable where we are, even if we are in misery, than to try to do something that might change our lives in a positive way. We might miss out on writing that song and singing it, and we might miss out on love, on light and on life.
1 John 4:18 tells us, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.” Verse 19 adds a very beautiful and important part of the equation, “We love, because He first loved us.” In John 15:9, Jesus tells us, “Just as the Father has loved me, I have also loved you; abide in my love.” When we know the love of God and abide in that love, we will have no fear, and we will be able to reach outward with that love that has been given to us. When we have no fear, we will be able to reach outward, not fearing that we will look foolish or be rejected, and taking the risk because we know at the end of the day we have all the love that matters in the love that is given to us by God. We will not stay in a place of misery because we know that we deserve love and happiness. We will walk in light and in love because we have been filled to overflowing with the love of God that is in Christ Jesus.

I heard a woman singing on the Staten Island Ferry the other night, songs of praise and worship that were very off key. But she wasn’t afraid to sing, even though we were far from any church or choir. The song was “Shout to the North” by Martin Smith, “Shout to the North and the South. Sing to the East and the West. Jesus is Savior to All. Lord of Heaven and Earth.” Don’t ever let anyone or anything keep you from singing or writing that song or shouting to the North, South, East and West. Don’t ever let anyone or anything keep you from all that God has for you. Don’t ever believe that you deserve to live in misery or that things are always going to be the way they always were. The Lord of Heaven and Earth says that there is more and He is Savior to All, not just for the few, but to all. What He says will be so in your life. All you have to do is believe Him.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment