Saturday, June 8, 2013

Growing Up

The Book of Daniel is very interesting to me. God has used it often to bring me encouragement – Daniel in the Lion’s Den, Daniel and the handwriting on the wall; Daniel’s friends, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, in the fiery furnace. Even at the very beginning when Daniel and his friends are taken into captivity and they refuse to eat the food from the King’s table because they don't want to go against the laws of their faith. They eat only vegetables and water, and they end up being healthier and stronger than the other men who are eating all the meat and wine and other delicacies that are being fed to them to make them strong. These are all wonderful and encouraging messages, but the thing that interests me in a completely different way is that it seems a very different book at the end than at the beginning. By the end, Daniel has grown up. It's a gradual process as growing up in the Lord always is, and the visions that he has at the end, and his experience of meeting with the Lord of Hosts, are very different in a much richer way, both as literature and as prophecy.

There is something that is both comforting and awe inspiring about how the Lord speaks to Daniel toward the end of the Book, starting in Chapter 10. Daniel has had a vision of a war that was so distressing to him that he had decided to fast and mourn for three weeks. At the end of the three weeks, he has a vision of the Lord that is so powerful that he falls with his face to the ground. The other men with him do not see the vision – this is a very important point – but they are filled with terror and run for their lives. I don't think that it's because they're bad people that they don't see the vision, but Daniel is a very special man who is close to the heart of God. The experiences that he has had over the years have drawn him closer to God, and his faith has been strengthened by tests and trials. He understands not only who his God is, but their relationship has been developed in a way that has brought him to a point of being able to meet with God in a much more intimate way.
Beholding the glory of God is a very special event, and one not everyone will experience while in their lifetime on earth. We all one day will see Him face to face (1 Corinthians 13:12), but we may not see Him until we are facing Him in the throne room of Heaven. There are only a handful of people in the Bible who actually met with the Lord face to face. Each one was terrified that they would not live because they recognized their own sinfulness in the face of His holiness, and each one was reassured by God that they would live because He had chosen to reveal Himself to them.

In Daniel 10:10-12 we read, “Suddenly a hand touched me, which made me tremble on my knees and on the palms of my hands. And He said to me, ‘O Daniel, man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you.’ While he was speaking this word to me I stood trembling. Then he said to me, ‘Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come because of your words.’”
When I read that passage, as I did yesterday when the Lord gave it to me once again, I am touched in a deep way to the centermost core of my being. It was commonly thought and truly believed in those times that one could not see the Lord and live. But here is the Lord of Hosts, coming to Daniel, touching him with a hand that could destroy, but instead it is used to strengthen. Here is the Lord, speaking to Daniel and telling him that he is greatly loved, and that his words are heard and have been heard ever since he set his heart to understand and humbled himself before his God.

Biblical messages and stories are meant to encourage and strengthen and warn us, words that give us knowledge and understanding at any time of our lives, no matter whether the original story happened thousands of years ago. When the Lord speaks to Daniel, we can hear His words as encouragement to ourselves, that when we have set our hearts to seek Him and have humbled ourselves before Him, our words are heard.
I have written here before about humility in a post of the same name, that humility is not being humiliated, but rather is a recognition that we need God’s help. That He is greater than we are, that His ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts (Isaiah 55:9). That in Him is all wisdom and knowledge and that we accept His love and His mercy and His Lordship over our lives. It means that there may be times that I want to tell someone off, but instead I show them kindness. It means that there may be times that I don’t want to do something, but if He says I need to do it, I do it. It means that at other times when I want to do something, if He says don't, I don't. It means that I set aside my own agenda, knowing that His agenda is better, even if I don’t understand how that is true at this current moment. It means that I accept that I don’t need to know everything and I don’t need to be in control of everything, and that I don’t need to be the one who has the last word. It means I forgive when people wrong me and I love when it is difficult to love. It means I say yes to doing things His way and not my own.

Those are not easy things to do, but when we do them, when we set our hearts to seek Him, when we allow Him to be Lord of our lives, then we can know that our words are heard. 1 John 5:13-15 tells us, “And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He hears us: And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have desired of Him.” There is an intimacy there, an even stronger intimacy than that of a good friend, someone who you may have known for many years. There is the intimacy of knowing that when you speak, He hears you, and that you can be confident that He will answer your prayers because He is reliable, and you are in a place of intimacy that you are able to understand each other and communicate clearly.
There are times when I am talking to God that I will understand in the middle of my request that I need to wait for the answer to my prayer because I need to wait for His timing. There are times when I am talking to Him about something that I know is not right for me to want, something that has to do with getting revenge or having justice done on my own terms perhaps, and in the middle of my complaint, I understand that instead I need to pray for the person who I have a complaint against, and to ask God for His mercy over my life and theirs. There are times when I want something that isn’t a bad thing, but in speaking with Him I may realize that I need to accept His plans in my life because they are better than what I can ask or think of. Ephesians 3:20-21 reads, “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us . . .” There are times when I am asking for something and I know that He can do so much more if I can just be patient. That is the beauty of clear communication with God, and that is why allowing Him to be Lord is worth every bit of breaking down of the old habits, worth every bit of getting over myself and letting Him be God.

Just before that passage, in Ephesians 3:14-19, there is one of the most beautiful prayers I know, “For this reason, I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and depth and length and height – to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” The passage in verse 21 ends with, “to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” If we give Him the glory that is due Him, if we can allow that He is greater than we are, if we can let ourselves let Him dwell in our hearts, if we can allow Him to love us with His lavish love, He will fill us with a fullness that overflows with His strength and power, and He will gladly give to us what we ask for, and exceedingly abundantly more.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment