Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Front Line

I was on my way downtown from the Bronx yesterday and as I walked down the stairs into the subway, a man who was walking up the stairs said, “Hello Luscious!” I don’t know why it hit me so funny but it did. I think it's partly because I wasn’t feeling very luscious to begin with - I’d been teaching a workshop on health and wellness at a harm reduction center, and if you know what that is, you’d know why. If you don’t know what that is, you can look it up – Ask.com has a pretty good list of definitions – but even so you probably won’t get the full picture of what it is until you’ve been there. Basically it’s a method of trying to reduce the possible harm caused by drug users – to themselves and to others – through sharing needles and not taking medications they may need for things they already have. The centers provide clean needles and condoms and medication through pharmacies, but the centers also have classes to help people make healthier choices in their lives in spite of – or along with – their possible ongoing drug use. People from all walks of life go there – drugs don’t discriminate and neither do AIDs and HIV and Hepatitis C.

I’m what’s called a front line educator – I go out into the community all over the five boroughs of NYC teaching health and wellness and nutrition education to people of all ages and backgrounds. When they call us front line, they’re not talking about a chorus line – they’re talking about a battle field. And the calling and the anointing that the Lord has put over my life is to work in the toughest areas with the most difficult to reach people. It wasn’t my choice – and I still argue with Him all the time about it – I was arguing on the way home yesterday. But because it was His choice, He’s given me the ability, white girl from the suburbs of Massachusetts that I am, to go into a harm reduction center in the Bronx and be received with love by the people there.
It’s a strange thing when the Lord gives His anointing, because the people you are anointed to work with will accept you with open arms while the people who should be supporting you at your office or in your church or your family or friends or wherever you would usually go for support are usually not. Those people will sometimes seem like they’re doing everything in their power to keep you from doing what the Lord has called and anointed you to do. Strangely enough the battle isn’t on the front lines, it’s behind the scenes. It’s when you go back to your office and check your emails and there’s too much to do and no one seems to understand that it’s not humanly possible and there are even more demands for things for you to do, or you talk to a friend and they tell you that you should just leave that job because they don’t pay you enough and they don’t appreciate all the hard work you’re doing. It’s when you get home and you’re exhausted and the promises of God don’t seem real to you any more. When even though things are so much better than they were before you were born again, you don’t see it that way because there’s so much more that you want.

Joyce Meyer is a writer whose work I admire so much. She wrote a book called Battlefield of the Mind that the Pastors of my first church gave to me as a gift and that I gave to a friend last year because it had meant so much to me. There is so much to her writing that helps us in our Christian walk, and that can help us even if we are not born again to understand how to unlock the mysteries of faith and scripture and bring them in a very real way into our lives. The basic premise of Battlefield of the Mind is that the real battle is fought in our minds. Ephesians 6:12 tells us, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” That is from the New International Version, but some translations use the words wrestle or fight or battle, and the Weymouth New Testament describes it in even more powerful terms, “For ours is not a conflict with mere flesh and blood, but with the despotisms, the empires, the forces that control and govern this dark world – the spiritual hosts of evil arrayed against us in the heavenly warfare.” If we know that the battle is against dark spiritual forces, and we know that Jesus already won the battle when He went to the Cross out of His great love for us and that He died and rose on the third day, overcoming sin and death, then there is no reason to think anything else except that the battle is already won. Except for the fact that the enemy we face is not a weak or stupid one, the enemy knows our weaknesses and is very intelligent, and knows how to make an unseen and already won battle seem like it’s very physically real and very much lost.
When I was on my way home last night, I was just telling the Lord that I’d had it. I was exhausted, it’s been in the 90’s the past few days and seems even hotter when you’re in places like the Bronx. I carry all kinds of supplies with me when I teach and my bags are very heavy and bulky, and even though the people I work with at the sites appreciate me so much, there’s so little in any other part of my life that is giving me any support. It’s been like this from the beginning of my being born again. Some people talk about having a kind of honeymoon period with the Lord right after they are saved, a time of peace and tranquility before all hell starts breaking loose. But I haven’t had that time except for small patches here and there. I have to admit that last year was a good one for many months at a stretch, but then when hell broke loose again it came with a vengeance and on days like yesterday I really want to say I’ve had it.

I use different references when I want to look up texts, and one of them is www.biblehub.com. When you look up a scripture in a search engine, it will come up in biblehub.com with many different translation versions and with commentaries at the end. When I looked up “we are not at war against flesh and blood,” and found the scripture on biblehub.com, I read the commentary by Matthew Henry at the bottom of the page. There are always great commentaries there, and this one had something really important for me to read in it – they always do, and this was what I needed to hear right now – “If we distrust either our cause, or our Leader, or our armour, we give him (satan or the enemy) advantage.” I have added the parentheses because Matthew Henry is talking about a battle against satan, but sometimes I prefer to just call him the enemy. When Matthew Henry writes about armor, he is referring to Ephesians 6:10-18, the text around verse 12, where the full armor of God is listed, “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Then we have verse 12, and then this, “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and having done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert, and always keep on praying for all of the Lord’s people.”
I’ve heard sermons on that passage and a Pastor friend once gave me a ring that had been his that has the full armor of God etched on it. But every time I read it or hear it preached or read about it, no matter how familiar it is, there is always something new to be learned and something more to help strengthen me. In Matthew Henry’s commentary, there were many things that I needed to hear and be reminded of.  I have put one above, and here is another, “A good hope of salvation, a Scriptural expectation of victory, will purify the soul, and keep it from being defiled by satan. To the Christian armed for defense in battle, the apostle recommends only one weapon of attack; but it is enough, the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. It subdues and mortifies evil desire and blasphemous thoughts as they rise within, and answers unbelief and error as they assault from without. A single text, well understood, and rightly applied, at once destroys a temptation or an objection, and subdues the most formidable adversary.” I think what Matthew Henry wrote is right on, but I would add something even simpler – if you know your Bible through and through, when those thoughts rise up, when the battle is raging, when doubt and fear and exhaustion, and just plain wanting to give up and give in set in, God will speak to you through His word by the Spirit that lives in you, and will give you that word that you need to get enough strength to not only keep on going, but to walk in victory even as the battle rages all around you.

At the end of Matthew Henry’s commentary, he says something that gave me another little ouch moment – but a good one, and one that was very much needed. When he writes about the importance of praying, he adds this, “We must persevere in particular requests, notwithstanding discouragements. We must pray, not for ourselves only, but for all saints. Our enemies are mighty and we are without strength, but our Redeemer is almighty, and in the power of His might, we may overcome. Wherefore we must stir up ourselves. Have not we, when God has called, often neglected to answer? Let us think upon these things, and continue our prayers with patience.”
I know full well that there have been many times that God has called that I have not only neglected to answer but I have refused. If He has been so patient with me, and I know that He has been, then the least I can do is be patient with Him because now that I know Him I know that His timing is perfect. There was an old joke we used to make back in the day, when we’d say, “I’m not looking for Mr. Right, I’m looking for Mr. Right Now.” It’s a very childish thing to want something right now instead of being able to wait. The Apostle Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 13:11, “When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.” As we grow in the Lord and He brings us to new levels of faith, we can know at each step that whatever He is doing is good, and that if we can continue walking as we trust in His goodness, we will receive all that we need all along the way. The battles we face have already been won, and all we need to do is just keep right on walking into the answer to our prayers that He has prepared for us.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment