Sunday, June 16, 2013

Our Father

I had something else prepared for today, but then when I was making breakfast, the Lord said I needed to write about Father’s Day. I try to write a draft the night before and edit and post in the morning, but God doesn’t work on my schedule and what I had written for today can be posted tomorrow. The message He has for today is an important one or else He wouldn’t have told me to write it.

There are holidays and birthdays and different seasons that affect people in different ways for different reasons. I don’t know why it is, but the days like Mother’s Day and Father’s Day can really mess some of us up. Even if we’ve had good fathers and mothers, there might be something that we are feeling we fall short of in our own lives or our relationships with them – maybe we feel like we wish we could support them or we wish we could have done something really great in our lives to make them feel proud of us. If everything was great, including the way we feel about ourselves, maybe they’re no longer alive and we miss them on these days. And then there’s the other side, if we’ve had horrible fathers or mothers, or absent ones, or abusive ones, or confusing ones, or those with mental or emotional challenges, or those who have or had illnesses that made them unable to be fully there for us, or even those who could not show love, the emotions we have on these days can throw us into an emotional state that is hard to understand and hard to get out of.
It is the tradition of Christianity to call God “The Father,” or “Our Father,” and to refer to Him as “Him.” Other faith traditions have different ways of speaking about God – in Jewish tradition, His name is never allowed to be mentioned, and in some other faith beliefs, including some religions that have a strong basis in Christian thought, you will hear “God the Mother and Father,” but in traditional Christianity, it is always “Our Father who is in heaven.”

When we have known a good father, whether he is still alive or not, I would think it would be easier to understand a loving God, but that is not always the case. We might have had a good father, but maybe we lived in poverty, or maybe he was not able to show affection in a warm and nurturing kind of way. The idea of God is something that we often try to understand through what we know of our own fathers, and whatever our father is or was, we often will think of God that way. Even if we had a good father, but he died, there might be the fear that God will one day disappear and leave us on our own – that He will want us to grow up and not need Him anymore, that He will need us to help take care of Him in His old age, or want us to take care of our family without His help. If we have not known a good father, had a father who was absent or abusive or angry or depressed or bi-polar, a father who abandoned us or who told us that we weren’t worth anything and would never amount to anything, a father who told us to get over it and deal with it when we needed support, how can we ever understand who God is if we are looking to Him to be what we know to be a father?
When I was born again, the hardest thing that I experienced was understanding who God was. I knew at the moment of my salvation that I was a sinner and that I needed His grace and love and mercy, but it didn’t really make sense to me why He would bother to save me unless it was to get me to do something for Him. I also didn’t understand how I could be such a sinner and have Him forget about my sin just because I believed in Jesus. That did not make any sense to me at all. I figured that I had to walk around feeling guilty, and that I had to work very hard to prove to Him that I loved Him and that I was a good person. I threw myself into my first ministry with everything I had, and allowed the people in leadership there to take advantage of my time and money because I wanted to give it all to God. But God is not a slave driver. He does want us to do things for other people – that is what we are meant to do in our lives, to be kind to others and to help others – but that help can come in many forms. Some are called to be missionaries, and some are called to be leaders and some are called to be financial givers, and some are called to minister to the people we meet on the bus. God will always give us what we need to do what He has called us to do. He will not call us to a life of financial poverty unless He fully intends to make sure that our every need is met, and He will not call us to give every moment of our time to “doing God’s work,” either. One of His commandments is that we keep the Sabbath Holy – that we take a day of rest so that we can continue to do the work He has called us to do with joy.

When God forgives our sins, He does it fully. He is not like the parent who reminds us about what we did and how guilty we should feel about it. It’s important that we understand that as humans we have sin as part of our nature, so that we can understand our own need for God, but once God forgives us, He forgives us completely, and He is always ready and willing to forgive us – all we need to do is ask. I was writing a word to a friend the other day that I was worried about sending because I thought it was a bit harsh. It was from Jeremiah 29 and 30, a section that talks about the sinfulness of people and about God’s decision to forgive and restore them.  I wrote to my friend all of the lovely passages in those chapters because the Lord said it was important for him to read those first, but I also wrote that God wanted him to read the rest of those chapters because He needed him to understand his very human condition and God’s complete willingness to work through that and through him in spite of what he had done in his life. The Lord had given me that same passage for myself, at times in the past, and also now as I have been dealing with some other issues in my own life. It is a passage that can feel like a heavy-handed reprimand, but God doesn’t mean it that way. He just wants us to understand that we need His help in order to be all that He has made us to be and to walk in all of the blessings that He has for us. He wants us to know that though our sin is great, He will be the cure for that sin because He loves us (Jeremiah 30:12-17).
In the story of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32), there is an image of a father that is very close to who God can be for us. Very often when people read that story, they gloss over what the son has to go through before he is forgiven. He has to come to a place where he knows that he has been living a life of sin. He is literally living in a pig sty and is starving when he decides to ask his father to let him live in a pig sty at his father’s house because maybe he’ll be able to have something to eat there. He doesn’t go back to his father’s house thinking that he will be completely restored to what he had left behind. It is the miracle of that story, and the miracle of God, that when the son turns back toward his father’s house, his father runs to meet him and restores him completely. That moment of realization for the son is an important part of his restoration. If we don’t have that realization, we can’t fully understand the miraculous love of God.

God is love (1 John 4:8), fully and completely, and there is no variableness in Him and no shadow of turning (James 1:17). He is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:18). Whatever our experience of our own father, the love of God is a completely different experience. He is better than the best father, and nothing like the worst. He will never leave us or forsake us (Joshua 1:5-6, Hebrews 13:5), He does not change His mind or lie (Numbers 23:19). Whether you have had a father or not, whether your father has been a good one or not, I encourage you to open your heart to who God is without holding  your own father in comparison. If you are trying to be a good father, a good husband, a good man to the people in your life, I encourage you to open your heart to the love of God, because once you experience that, you will be able to love others as you are loved, and you will know that whatever He has called you to do, He will help you to do.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment