Monday, June 3, 2013

Honeysuckle

On my way home last night I passed by an area where there was the sweetest and most beautiful smell in the air. I couldn’t figure out what it was, and then I got to the top of the hill and I saw the honeysuckle cascading down in full bloom. From the bottom of the hill to the top of it, the scent filled the air. I could still smell it when I got home and opened the windows of my apartment.

There’s a certain time of the year when that happens, but I’m always surprised by it. I forget from one year to the next, and when I smell that luxurious smell, I wonder what it is every time. And then I see the cascade of honeysuckle and remember that it’s honeysuckle time again.
It made me start to think about the times in my life that are like that – the times when the blessings of God seem to be pouring down and I feel surrounded by His sweetness and love. There’s a passage in Exodus 33 when Moses asks the Lord to show him His glory. The Lord's answer is one of the sweetest passages. “The Lord said, ‘I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, The Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. But,’ He said, ‘you cannot see my face, for no one can see me and live.’ Then the Lord said, ‘there is a place near me where you can stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock, and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back, but my face will not be seen.” (verses 19-23) I love that image of the Lord covering Moses with His hand to protect him. Even Moses, who God loved and spoke to as a friend (verse 11), could not see His face and live because he was still human, but God wanted to answer his request, and so He arranges it in the best way that He can to protect and cover Moses while still allowing him to see His glory.

We can talk to God as a friend. We do need to remember that He is holy, so holy that we cannot see His face and live, because we do need to show Him the respect that is due Him, but He will show us His glory, and He loves to talk to us in a comfortable way. There are times for formal prayers, but there are also times when we can just talk to God and pour out our hearts. We can ask Him questions and we can ask for His help. In verses 12-13 we read, “Then Moses said to the Lord, ‘You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you.” He continues in verse 15, “If Your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that You are pleased with me and with Your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and Your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”
I was talking to a man once after a church service, and I mentioned that I was having a struggle with a situation that I needed prayer for. He talked with me about Moses, and how Moses spoke with God. He was always respectful, but he did tell God that there were things he needed in order to keep walking on the path that God had set him on. God doesn’t mind when we go to Him and ask for His help and His blessing on our work. In fact, He wants us to do just that. He wants us to ask Him to help us move forward so that we know that it was not of ourselves that were able to do what we did, and that it was the glory and the power of God and that He chose to bless us.

I can go about my business doing things on my own, but if I have the power of the Lord God Almighty to help me, why wouldn’t I ask Him? It seems an easy thing, but sometimes we have a hard time with that because we do want to do things on our own and we do want to get all the glory. And God will let us try, and He might even let us get to a certain point, but we’ll get so much farther if we ask for His help and His blessing as we move forward with our plans.
I had a beautiful confirmation yesterday about a promise God made to me, a word He spoke to me that began in 2006 and was expanded on in 2008. The word that came in 2006 was from Zechariah 8:4-6, “This is what the Lord Almighty says, ‘Once again men and women of ripe old age will sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each one of them with a cane in hand because of their age. The city streets will be filled with boys and girls playing there.’ This is what the Almighty says, ‘It may seem marvelous to the remnant of this people at that time, but will it seem marvelous to me?’ declares the Lord Almighty.” When He gave me that word, He was referring to the housing projects He had sent me to work in. I was the director of an after school program, and I couldn’t figure out why He was sending me of all people to work with inner city youth in one of the most dangerous places of the city. But He just kept saying to look through His eyes. He had to be with me every step of the way, because if He wasn’t with me, if it was not God Almighty Himself who sent me, I could not do anything there on my own.

In 2008, He took me on an early morning walk as the sun was rising over the ocean in Rhode Island, in my favorite place in the world. As I walked He reminded me of that word, and said that the work I did in those projects would expand and the youth would have a place to go in the country – a house on a cliff just there overlooking that beach, a place where they could go to learn about nature and fresh fruit and vegetables from a farm. Where they could swim in a pristine ocean and run in the fields. He reminded me that there is nothing that is impossible for Him (Matthew 19:26), a word from a scripture that He knows means a lot to me because that is the answer Jesus gives when He is asked, “Who then can be saved?” He answers, “With man this is impossible but with God all things are possible.” In that passage they are referring to the rich young ruler who does not immediately sell everything and give his money to the poor in order to follow Jesus, but in my case, the reason that passage means a lot to me is because He knows that I know that His saving me was something that was only possible for God. I had been so lost that it is a miracle of His mercy and grace and compassion that I was found. He will have mercy on whom He chooses to have mercy and compassion on whom He chooses to have compassion. There is nothing impossible for God.
The confirmation that came yesterday came out of the blue, the way that the sweet aroma of honeysuckle seemed to appear out of nowhere. I was at a reception at a church I have been working with, and a Pastor introduced herself to me and asked if I had a few minutes to speak with her. She is the Senior Pastor’s wife, and someone who I would have time for any day because I respect their ministry so much. It was an honor and a blessing to sit and speak with her like that. I had actually met her back in 2007, right after the Lord gave me that first word from Zechariah 8, and I told her that. I had given her my business card then because the Lord had spoken to me that there was something she was doing that was connected with youth that was connected with that word that He had given me. And now here she was introducing herself to me, and telling me there was something she had an idea about, and the idea was the same vision He’d given me in 2008. When I met her in 2007, she wasn't working with youth in the way she is now and did not have the vision she had. The Lord had not yet given me the vision that He gave me in 2008. But He knew what He would be speaking to us both, and so He showed me then that there would be a connection now.

When Moses comes down from the mountain after seeing the Lord’s glory, his face is so bright with the glory of the Lord that he has to cover it so that the people can look at him. Right after I spoke with the Pastor, I met a woman I hadn’t seen since 2008. She had worked with me in the after school program for a summer, and she was at the same church service and came over to say hello. She told me I was glowing – I had seen the glory of the Lord. It is no accident that she was the person I met just then - she had been a blessing of God to me then, someone He had sent to work with me who has such a sweet and humble spirit and a knowledge of and trust in the power of God. Seeing her brought me right back to those days in the projects and the glory that the Lord showed me when He answered my request that He stay with me always so that I could continue doing the work that He had asked me to do.
There is such a sweetness that comes over me when I feel the blessing of God. There are times when things are so hard and everything is coming against me, and it seems at those times that I must have fallen out of God’s favor – if I have His blessing, why would I be having problems? But that is what happens sometimes. When the blessing is great, the obstructions can be greater. But after a time of struggle, when I have been calling out to God, asking Him to be with me, then the sweetness comes and I understand that He always was and always will be.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment