Sunday, May 19, 2013

Humility

In my Junior year of college I transferred from a college in Pittsburgh to one in New York. It wasn’t in the city, but it was close enough that it was a little daunting for this small town girl from Massachusetts. I transferred because I wanted to be an actress, and the school where I was, though a really good one, was far enough away from New York that I knew I wouldn’t make the connections I’d need to make to live and work in there, and that’s where I wanted to end up. In those days, and probably still now, if you wanted to be an actor, you moved to LA or New York City. There were no other options. Any place else meant you’d be a little fish in a little pond, and never have the fame and fortune that most of us really want when we go “into the theater” – even if we say we’re doing it for art, we’re still doing it for the money we hope we’ll get and fame is something we want too if we’re really honest about it. Acting is something that is completely ego driven. You have to have an ego that needs to be fed if you want to get up in front of strangers and have them applaud you. For some of us, it’s because we have damaged or really fragile egos, and the rejection and poverty and long hours just make us feel worse, but we do it anyway because it’s art and we do love that too. I loved it so much when I was doing it, or so I thought. Now I honestly don’t know. I don’t miss it at all and I’m so much more fulfilled in the work I do now, but in a way that’s acting too, though not acting in the sense of make believe. I really care about the people I work with, so that part is not acting. The acting techniques that come into play are really more about the public speaking and communication skills, and being comfortable in front of new groups of people all the time.

When I was in college, though, I still wanted to be an actress so much that I gave up an almost full scholarship at a really good school to go to another school that was almost double the cost and take on student loans and debt, just so that I could move from a small pond to a bigger one. I had been a pretty big fish where I was, and had been able to act in all of the mainstage plays to my heart’s content. I had big roles from the time I started there, and I wasn’t prepared for the snobbishness and cliquishness of the bigger pond I moved to. The first thing that happened was that they made me audition to see where I would fit into the acting classes. I had two years of college level training and two years of major acting roles under my belt, but they put me in the beginners' acting classes which was a big blow to my ego. I later on found out that they’d made a mistake. They hadn’t known that I was a Junior transfer student – they thought I was a Freshman who wanted to skip the beginners' classes. That was the norm with those teachers unfortunately. They never looked at records and files and it ended up costing me a recommendation to Yale because one of them never wrote a recommendation because she forgot and another wrote a paragraph when it called for at least a page. The paragraph said something along the lines of “Jannie was a very good student in class and always did her assignments on time.” So much for Yale.
So there I was in this big pond, a very small fish being made to feel smaller every day. I had come in as an acting major, or rather someone who had a “concentration in acting” as we said there, but I also had a concentration in literature and music. It was a solid liberal arts school, so we were encouraged to do things like that – take all the courses you wanted to that would never get you a job in the real world but that were sure a lot of fun and very, very artsy. I’m not sorry I did it, though, because even with what I know now about the job market and liberal arts educations meaning practically nothing to some people, it was a great foundation for living life. For some reason, liberal arts educations help give people common sense. I don’t know why that should be, but it’s true. I’ve worked over the years with lots of people with all kinds of degrees in different majors, and many of them don’t have the reasoning capability or the understanding of problem solving or the critical thinking that some of even the most artsy people I knew in college had then and still have. I also thrived there, even with my beginners' acting classes. The other classes I had were so enriching and the acting time was pure play, and though we had a lot of work and so many papers to write all the time, it didn’t seem like it at all because that kind of environment makes learning fun.

The one class I had that was no fun at all was a music theory class that started at 9am three days a week – or maybe it was two, but it was so grueling it seemed like we met every day. The regular teacher was on sabbatical, and we had a substitute who knew his stuff but didn’t know the usual methods for teaching at our school playground. I don’t say that to mean in any way that we weren’t learning – we really did do a lot of work and we really did learn a lot. In the work that I do now, I’ve been trained to teach the way I was taught at that college because research has proven that people learn more when they’re enjoying themselves and are encouraged to be a part of the discussion and are not just being lectured to. But even with all of the work we were doing, the school was a playground for most of the classes except for this music theory class. And in those days I was a night owl – that’s one way that God has really changed me – I get up so early now, even on weekends, and go to bed early when I can, but back then I was up way past midnight all the time, and a 9am class was not anything that I would look forward to, even with a great teacher which this one definitely wasn’t.
There was a freshman student in that class, and I don’t remember how we met, but all the classes were small and we were in a small room, so maybe it was just looking blearily at each other and making each other laugh that started our friendship. She invited me to come to her room to do homework together and when I got there, she had all this wonderful food to feed me with. As I got to know her over time, and then continued to know her when we both moved to the city, I saw that she was one of those people who just naturally mother other people – in a good way – giving them good food, good wine, a good martini now and again, and generally doing everything she could to make you feel loved. Her family was from New York, and she’d borrow the car and take people on trips to Long Island to go apple picking and pumpkin buying and knew all the great museums and concerts and restaurants and city hot spots to go to. She got me a job once when she was working with a boutique investment company, the kind of job that doesn’t really feel like a job when one of your friends works there. Looking back over the years I don’t think I ever told her how much I appreciated her. The gifts she gave me, the trips and dinners and all of the love she brought into my life are things that kept my life bright even during dark and difficult times. She was there through it all, through breakups and family trauma, through financial struggles and personal strife, through the good times and the bad times, reaching out a hand in love that helped keep me going when the going got tough and helped make the good times even better. 

It’s a strange thing, because sometimes I think it’s easy to assume that people know how much they mean to you. They come into your life at a time when you really need just what they have to give, and you figure they must know how much you need and appreciate what they give you of themselves, because they wouldn’t be doing it if they didn’t see how much you needed it, right? But the truth is often very different. The truth is often that these people who give so much of themselves to give you love and support are doing it because they want to do it. They sometimes don’t know that you need it, and they may not even know if it’s something that you enjoy. They’re just doing what they feel is right to do, and you’re on the receiving and benefitting end of it, enjoying it and taking it for granted that they know how much it means to you. 1 Thessalonians 5:12 tells us to “acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work.” Too often we don’t acknowledge people for the work they do, too often we don’t recognize that it is out of love that they do what they do. Too often because we miss that part, the part that is love, we miss out on love in all its fullness.
One of God's messages that is sometimes hard for us to receive is the message of humility. The word humility is so close to humiliation, and we back off from it, not wanting to feel put down and less than, like someone who transfers to college as a Junior with honors, and auditions for a place in the advanced classes only to find her name on a public list in a class of Freshman beginners. But it’s only when our ego is so fragile that where we place in an audition matters. It’s really not important what other people say or think, it’s what you do and who you are that really matters. 1 Corinthians 13:2 tells us, “If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.” I can have every honor and every gift and every blesssing, but without love, without knowing how to love, I may as well not have anything at all.

In the nutrition and wellness work that I do, I often talk with people about the importance of getting nutrients through foods because there are different kinds of vitamins and nutrients that help each other be absorbed together in the body and work together for the body’s health and strength. Vitamin D and Calcium are two nutrients that work well together, and as I think of humility and love, they have a similar relationship. According to Paul in 1 Corinthians, without love we are nothing, no matter what amazing gifts and skills we have. I am understanding now that without humility, we cannot love, because we cannot accept that we would not be able to make it without the help of another. Humility is not humiliation, it is far from it. Humility says that I know that I need help, and I thank you for giving it to me. Humility says I love you because you have given me love. Humiliation says that I am nothing, that I have failed, that I cannot hold my head up high. Humility says I have love, so I am something wonderful, and with your help I can keep walking.
That passage in 1 Corinthians ends with “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-8). If we have humility we are able to love, and if we are able to love, we can never fail.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment