Monday, May 13, 2013

Noodle Salad

God has a habit of showing up in the strangest places. I don’t want to even presume to guess why He does this, all I know is that when and where we least expect Him to be, there He is. People sometimes have a habit of wanting to put Him in a box, to put Him in some place where we think He “should” be – in a church, usually, or in the home of a church goer. He’s in those places, but He shows up in really unlikely places, too. We see Him in nature easily, “The Heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of His hands.” (Psalm 19:1) But what about the city? What about in a bar, or on the subway or on a bus? What about a movie shoot or a department store? I’ve met Him in all of those places and I bet you have too.

In 2005 my life started to fall apart. I was in a relationship that had gone very sour, and everything that I had was invested in it. My heart, my work, my finances, my time, my life. I had come very near to losing my soul, too, and that was when God stepped in. I was born again on December 12 of that year, but up until then, there was a series of events that I know now could only have been orchestrated by a Master Planner. I had originally come to New York to be an actress, and over the years I had done a few things, but nothing major, and had not found fame or fortune. I had started writing plays and short stories and poetry, and had started my own business helping visual artists, designers and writers and actors to get their work seen and produced. I was working in a lot of community based settings, in bars and restaurants and boutiques and galleries, combining happy hours and dinner hours and lunch special hours and shopping events. I got a write up in the Daily News once, and ever after that people started to do what I had been doing. I see it now wherever I go, and it makes me smile. I used to say, “I started that,” but I know now that it was God who gave me the idea and He was the one who made it happen and thrive. The relationship I was in had started as a business relationship. I had wanted to start a community center, and sent word out through my network, and met someone I thought would be a perfect business partner. But in my somewhat youthful exuberance, I missed some major cues, and found myself two years later with everything I’d cared about going down the drain.
Somehow or other during that time I had contacted a friend of mine who is a film maker. I don’t remember what the reason was, and it may have been that he just came by where I was living one day for a visit. It may really have been that simple. Whatever happened, he told me he was in the process of producing another movie, and he was having auditions and I went in. I’d done a few things with him in the past, and had always enjoyed myself. He’s one of the best men I know – good as gold, honest, and someone who has never lost his sense of decency the way some people in the movie business can. He makes good films too – he’s a professional and has an eye for film that is truly a gift. He also has a great sense of humor, something that I appreciate all the time, and at that time I needed it so much. Over the years we’d had dinner parties and shared cooking tips, and he was the first person I knew who had moved out to Williamsburg – this was long before it was what it is now. He helped me move I don’t know how many times, and invited me to so many great parties over the years I’ve lost count. He’s an all around great guy and a cool one, and I’m blessed to have him as a friend.

I ended up being cast in the film as an art student – I’m described in the cast list as a cranky one, because I complain all the time about wanting to get paid and I’m not happy with the idea of art for art’s sake. The film itself was full of wacky characters and wonderful visuals – it was a parody of Stanley Kubrick’s films, or rather “a parody of a parody” as the director describes it in the trailer. It’s about a photographer named Stanley, who the devil is after because he wants his soul. How strange and wonderful to look back on that now with the understanding that I have of how God works. I had been in danger of losing my soul when I was born again, and here I was in this movie right at the same time.
There are always such deep meanings with God, so many layers and levels that He works on. Things keep unfolding as time goes on, there are so many “aha” moments. A few years before I was in that movie, I’d met a photographer in Paris who was working on a project. He asked to do a portrait of me, and I sat for him and offered to help him in whatever way I could to show his work in New York. God opened a door so big at that time that even though I didn’t know it was God, I knew it was something supernatural. Through a series of what I now know are Divine appointments, he ended up having a show in a very prestigious gallery. Things got ugly between us where there had once been a friendship because I asked him for a percentage of the profits from the show. I was just at the point in my life that things had started to go south, and he was selling his portraits for upwards of $10,000. But the gallery was taking half of that, and he had other debts and expenses at home. He sent me some angry emails and finally wired me $500 as an insult, a slap in the face from someone who was so hurt that I didn’t just want to help him from my heart. And I did want to help him from my heart, but I had expenses and debts too, and my life as I knew it was over. And then there I was in that film, the cranky art student asking, “How do we get paid?!” in a film about a photographer who is in danger of losing his soul.

Jesus asks us in Mark 8:36, “For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” This question comes just after Jesus has fed four thousand men, not including women and children, with seven loaves of bread and a few fish (and he had already fed 5,000 with three loaves and two fish); he had healed a blind man; and Peter had confessed Him as the Christ. He predicted His death and resurrection, and then rebuked Peter when he spoke against that death happening. A crowd forms around Him once again, and he begins to tell them to lose their lives and deny themselves and take up their cross if they want to follow Him.
There’s a reason why God tells us not to change His words around – not to take anything out or add anything to them (Revelation 22:18-19). If we just hear “Take up your cross and follow me,” it can seem harsh and cruel, and like something that is a punishment. But God is not a harsh and cruel God. He is a God of compassion who can feed four thousand plus people with seven loaves of bread and a few small fish. We can let go of what we have been holding onto, we can help someone else just from our hearts. We can do things His way, even when it makes no sense to us, because He will supply what we need and more. There were twelve baskets of leftovers from those seven loaves and a few small fish. If we lose our lives and give up what we think we need, He’ll supply what we really need and much more.

My brother wrote a song once called “Noodle Salad.” It’s based on something that is part of the movie, “As Good As It Gets,” a movie he really liked. The message in the movie, and the message of the song, is that we can get all caught up in all kinds of things that don’t really mean anything except worry. The other option, the one that my brother wrote about, is to “wake up each morning with the sunshine in your eyes and you can carry it with you.” My brother did not have an easy life, and he wrote this song just a few months before he died very young of a painful disease. I have a copy of it hanging on my wall by my door to remind me that, “Everyone’s got problems, everyone's felt heartache, it happens everywhere you go, but if you take your burdens, put ‘em in your pocket, there’s a better way to live. Good times, good friends, noodle salad." What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Absolutely nothing. But what if we decide to lose our life in order to gain it? We’ll find there's a better way to live.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment