Monday, August 19, 2013

Breaking Through

A few months ago I bought an electric espresso maker at the Salvation Army thrift store near where I live. It’s a small individual one, and it has the side arm attachment to make steamed milk. When I got it home and started to clean it to set it up, I realized that it was missing the basket part that holds the espresso grounds in the place where you put the coffee – if you don’t have that part, the coffee will just go right into the place where the brewed coffee ends up because the basket keeps the grounds from sifting out into the water. I don’t know if I’m describing that correctly so that it’s understandable, but let’s just say that I was at a loss how I could make coffee with this maker.

I went back to the store the next time I had time and I asked the man who works there as a manager if there was anything still left around from that maker. He said he’d keep an eye out for it, and he was really extra helpful by looking up the part online for me. He found some listed on different websites, and gave me the name of the part so I could do my own searching. It’s called a porta filter, and so I started looking online for those. I found a few for different products, but not the maker that I had. I contacted the company that made my maker, and they no longer made that model and they tried to sell me a new maker. They offered me a discount on a new one, but their makers cost upwards of $100, so that wasn’t going to happen. I had bought mine at the Salvation Army for $9.99, and I was going to figure this out somehow because I had asked God before I bought it and the answer came back to go ahead, so I knew there was a solution coming from somewhere.
There’s an online group I belong to that asks me questions about different technology and gadgets, which is very funny in and of itself because I had to qualify to belong to this group and I was honest in my answers to their questionnaire. I am so not into technology – I appreciate it, but I like to keep things simple. I don’t own a tv, my cell phone makes and takes calls and that’s it. I still have a land line, I don’t have an air conditioner, my stove is an old one and I like it that way. But for some reason this online forum invited me to join their group, and every week I answer questions about new technology, and for the time that I spend which is minimal, they give me a $15 gift card from Amazon every month. So I went on Amazon to search for the part for my espresso maker, and I found one for another brand that was not mine. It’s hard to know if any of these things would work together because the dimensions are often not given. So I went to a few stores and looked at makers, brought the part that needed to have the porta filter fit into it, made a few tests and it seemed like they’re pretty interchangeable so I took a chance and ordered the one from Amazon and it worked.

When I first made my coffee in the maker, and tried to steam the milk, not much of anything happened. A little steam came out, but not enough to make it frothy or even warm. That happens sometimes with makers like that – that’s often why people get rid of them – so I figured that maybe I’d just have to be happy with having the espresso maker part working. I didn’t use it all the time anyway – I’ve made espresso for years in a stainless steel stove top maker I have – but I’d use this electric one on weekends and days off for a treat. I don’t always have milk either because prices have gone so high and I don’t buy it unless I find it on a really good sale, so steaming the milk wasn’t really an issue, though in the back of my mind I kept thinking that if God told me to go ahead and buy this thing, there must be something He was planning to do.
Last week I found some really good organic milk on sale – I don’t always buy organic, but if it’s on a great sale like this one I will. When I was making my coffee in the electric maker one day, I tried to steam the milk and all of a sudden the steamer attachment was working. I hadn’t done anything special and I hadn’t changed anything. I just tried it one day and the blockage or whatever was holding it back was gone.

The Lord started speaking to me then, about why that happened. I know it may sound strange that He’d use this experience to talk to me about something much more profound, but He does that all the time with me. He’ll use the most ordinary things to reveal the extraordinary. What He started talking to me about is that the espresso maker represented some other areas in my life where I had been experiencing blocks and frustrations, that when we give up when those blocks and frustrations come, we are not allowing for the miracle of what He can do to break through those blocks and release the blessing. He spoke to me about what He had led me to do through the months since I bought the maker. When I discovered that the filter basket was missing I tried one thing and then another, going where He led me to go to do the things He led me to do, not giving up but continuing to rely on Him for the solution. Then when the steamer didn’t work, I went about my business, enjoyed the coffee as I could, but didn’t stop trying to use the steamer whenever I had the milk to use with it. And then one day all of a sudden the blockage was gone and now I can have steamed milk for my espresso. It was as simple and profound as that – one day it was blocked and the next day the block was gone. I never would have known if I had given up and stopped trying.
I knew there was a scripture about the Lord of the Breakthrough, and when I looked up those words, I found a sermon by Philip Harrelson on 2 Samuel 5:17-21, http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/the-lord-of-the-breakthrough-philip-harrelson-sermon-on-david-131605.asp?Page=1. He speaks about the anointing on David’s life to be King of Israel and he has many great things to say, but the one that I heard most clearly in my own spirit was this, “But often after that first anointing, we have to plod the weary path of preparation for God to use us in His Kingdom. Time spent waiting for advancement or deliverance often seems like lost time. Men forget that preparation is demanded for all promotions.” He talks about the trials David faced, and uses 2 Samuel 5:10 to tell us “the answer to what made David successful is found in verse 10. ‘And David went on and grew great, and the Lord God of Hosts was with him.’” Philip Harrelson continues, “Those words are short but the meaning is without limit. David was a persistent man . . . . . He went on. It is the man who steadfastly goes on, who enters a city and clears a space for himself. Great men are defined by: Walking the paths of righteousness. The strength of their prayers. Commitment to serving others. Stumbling blocks becoming stepping stones. Gaining power from seeming set-backs. Seeking God rather than position. There is something about a man who just “goes on.” He “goes on” despite his circumstances. He “goes on” despite his trials. He “goes on” despite being in the minority.”

Earlier in the sermon, Philip Harrelson wrote, “Has the world mocked you? Has the world hurled defiance at the way you live? Has the world said that men cannot serve God in modern times? Has the devil not whispered in your ear to give up and quit?” The answer to those questions is a big yes every day of my life. There are times that it seems impossible to go on because there are always those things and people that rise up to oppose my living my life and doing those things in the way that I know God has called me to. There are blocks to so much that God has called me to do, sometimes in the form of other people, sometimes in the form of my own weaknesses and emotions and feelings of lack. But what God was speaking to me through an espresso maker of all things is that those blocks can be released in a moment of time. They are there one moment and gone the next, and the only difference is in going on and continuing in spite of the blocks.
There is often a feeling that God has forgotten about us when we are experiencing times when we feel blocked, but what Philip Harrelson reminded me of is that it is in those times that God is preparing us for our victory. Instead of being a time of wasted time, it is a time of preparation, a time when we can seek God more because it is only with His help and strength and sustenance that we can keep going on. And it is in that act of going on that the anointing comes. Philip Harrelson writes, “Too often we want the anointing but no battle. Or we want the battle without the anointing, but we must understand that both of them must come together and work together.”

A few years ago a man I met told me he had a word for me from Psalm 23:5, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.” He wanted me to know that it is only in that time of struggle and trial that the anointing comes. It is when we are in the presence of our enemies – those people and things that rise against the will of God in our lives to try to make us back down and give up and give in – it is in the presence of those things and people where we feel the weakest that the power and anointing of God can fill our lives to overflowing. It is in those times when we feel that we cannot go on, when everything around us including own emotions is telling us to quit, it is then that we can see the glory of God and watch the Lord of the Breakthrough make a way where there was none before.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment