Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Word That Sustains The Weary

A while back the Lord was giving me chapters from Isaiah over and over again. It started sometime in the Spring of 2012 and continued on for months and months. He had made a promise to me, had spoken a word that was something I needed to believe in faith, and when He first spoke it, He used Isaiah 54. After that He gave me Isaiah 43, and then He kept giving me other passages from Isaiah, sometimes bringing  me back to those original two and then bringing me into other chapters again. One of the chapters He gave me several times during that time was Isaiah 49, and another was Isaiah 51, and yesterday, He gave them to me again.

I am still waiting on the promise He made with Isaiah 54 and 43, and then, just at the time that it seemed that promise was being stopped – at the time it seemed like the forces of hell were stopping it, but I do know that God overrules even those – just at that time when I saw the promises that seemed so close come to a screeching halt, some other things started to rise up in my life that made me glad in a way that I had to wait on the Lord. The other things I have been dealing with have been sapping my strength and stealing my joy. It’s been so hard to keep going every day. But thank God for His faithfulness because He keeps me going, and just when I got to another place of feeling completely overcome yesterday, He gave me those chapters from Isaiah once again, to remind me that He had given them before and that those promises still hold. Reading those two chapters again helped me know deep in my spirit that the promises He made last year will come to pass and the things I am dealing with now will come to a close.
Isaiah 49:14-18 reads, “But Zion said, ‘The Lord has forsaken me, and my Lord has forgotten me.’ ‘Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before Me. Your sons shall make haste; your destroyers and those who laid you waste shall go away from you. Lift up your eyes, look around and see; all these gather together and come to you. ‘As I live,’ says the Lord, ‘You shall surely clothe yourselves with them all as an ornament, and bind them on you as a bride does.’”

There have been times since I was born again that the Lord spoke to me about my past – that He has forgiven and forgotten it in the way that only He can, but that the things that have happened to me were the product of poor choices I’d made. He understands that I didn’t know Him and that is why I made those choices, but there is always a choice involved in the choices that we make. God does make His voice clear to us, and we can choose to listen or not. I chose for many years not to listen, and that was what He would talk to me about. When He spoke to me about those times, He would use passages of scripture that talked about the prophets warning Zion, and He would always share with me that my past was no different than the past that the children of Israel had. They ignored Him and did things their own way, but He was always there to forgive and give them a fresh start. When I read Isaiah 49:14 yesterday and I saw the words, “But Zion said . . .” I knew He was talking to me. And then when I read further, the word filled my spirit, and right where I was on the train going home, I had to take a moment to thank Him. If I could have gotten down on my face in the train car I would have, and He knows that was what was in my heart. Once when I was in a church I used to attend and everyone had gone up for an altar call, I felt it on my heart so strong to go down on my face on the floor, but there was no room. I remember talking to God, saying, “I want to kneel before you,” and He answered the most hilarious thing in a moment like that, “What are you going to do, push someone over?” I almost laughed aloud, and then He said, “It doesn’t matter if you kneel or not, because I know what’s in your heart.”
The thing that I’ve been dealing with lately that has been so difficult is that I’m dealing with someone who I thought was a strong Christian who I could trust and I found out that they’re not and I can’t. It’s not my place to judge, but I do know that they’ve started to lie about things, and the things they’re doing are hurting other people and are meant to hurt other people, including me. It wouldn’t be so hurtful if it wasn’t someone who walked and talked the talk of Jesus, but when people use His name and stand under His banner with lies, it is the closest thing that I can think of to the abomination that causes desolation that the Angel Gabriel speaks of in Daniel 9:27. I know that when that time comes for that thing to happen, it will be much, much worse than what I am dealing with now, but what I have been dealing with, a person who lies and does hurtful things to other people while saying they are a Christian and is so loud and proud about their Christianity, that is the root of what will bring that other and much larger abomination to pass.

As I read Isaiah 49 and 51 yesterday, the Lord sent me back to Isaiah 50. Verse 4 begins, “The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary.” Thank you Jesus, because that is true.  The verse continues, “He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.” Verse 7 says, “Because the Sovereign Lord helps me I will not be disgraced. Therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame. He who vindicates me is near. Who then will bring charges against me? Let us face each other! Who is my accuser? Let him confront me! It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me. Who will condemn me? They will all wear out like a garment; the moths will eat them up.”
As I have gone through these months of this difficult trial, the Lord keeps telling me that I don’t need to worry at all, that these things this person is saying and doing will disappear and mean nothing. That the change that’s coming will come suddenly – that is so often the way that the Lord moves. He is always working and busy behind the scenes, so when He acts we think it’s out of the blue, but it’s not really. He’s given His warning, He’s spoken to us and given us the ears to hear and a well-instructed tongue. Isaiah 50:10 tells us, “Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the word of His servant? Let the one who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on their God.”

And then we get to Isaiah 51. Verses 7-8 read, “Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have taken my instructions to heart: Do not fear the reproach of mere mortals or be terrified by their insults. For the moth will eat them up like a garment; the worm will devour them like wool. But My righteousness will last forever, my salvation through all generations.” Verses 11-16 continue, “Those the Lord has rescued will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. I, even I am He who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mere mortals, human beings who are but grass, that you forget the Lord your Maker, who stretches out the heavens and who lays the foundations of the earth, that you live in constant terror every day because of the wrath of the oppressor, who is bent on destruction? For where is the wrath of the oppressor? The cowering prisoners will soon be set free; they will not die in their dungeon, nor will they lack bread. For I am the Lord your God, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar – the Lord Almighty is His name. I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand – I who set the heavens in place, who laid the foundations of the earth. And who say to Zion, ‘You are My people.’”
These words are not just for me. These words are for you too. The Lord speaks His word to us all, and all we have to do is listen and say yes.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment