Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Holding On To What Is Good

Someone in one of my workshops yesterday asked me if toasting bread lowered the calories or made it healthier in some way. It’s a question I’ve been asked before, and it’s always asked in the same way, “I’ve heard that when you toast bread it makes it healthier or lowers the sugar or the calories, is that true?” I have no idea where this message is coming from, and I even went ahead and looked it up online again just to make sure, and sure enough, there’s no basis in truth to this message.

I do the work that I do and teach what I teach because there are so many confusing messages out there about health and nutrition. There are all sorts of people claiming to be health gurus and nutritionists and health care professionals who really aren’t, or if they do have the credentials, sometimes they’re sharing information that’s based on personal ideas and not fact or anything that has been researched and proven. It’s all right to share your personal ideas, but to do it in a public forum while saying that you’re an expert can be damaging to people, and a lot of what I find myself doing is helping people to figure out the truth and how to find out what is the truth for themselves in the midst of all this confusing and misleading information.
The Holy Spirit does that for us spiritually. There are times when even Pastors and Priests will not be giving people the right information – we’re all human, and even people who have all the theological education in the world can still misunderstand things or have personal opinions that go beyond what is truth. The saying goes that religion and politics are two topics that we shouldn’t discuss with people over the dinner table because they can lead to bloody fights, and that’s true. I’ve seen it happen before that perfectly nice people can get all hot under the collar if you try to talk to them about your ideas that are different from theirs. But in areas of understanding truths about God, we do have a helper in the Holy Spirit. We don’t have to ask anyone else for their opinion, because the Holy Spirit is the one who shows us what is true. But that can be tricky too because some people think they’re listening to the Holy Spirit when they’re just listening to themselves or advice from someone that they want to follow. 1 Thessalonians 5:21 tells us to, “Test all things, hold onto what is good.” But how do we know what is good if we’re not really connected to God and the Holy Spirit?

Sometimes when the Holy Spirit gives us advice it can seem contrary to what we think we should be doing. There are times when the Holy Spirit will tell us to wait and others when He will tell us to act. There are times when we are angry and want to get revenge, and He’ll tell us to just let it go. There are times when we think we need to panic and He says, relax and enjoy yourself. That’s happened to me before several times. Once when I was having trouble with a landlord who was really nuts and was trying to drive me nuts, I cried out to God and a friend called to ask if I wanted to go see a play that he had free tickets for. I found myself saying yes, and I couldn’t figure out why. When I got off the phone, I started talking to God and saying, “I can’t go see a play I’m too stressed out!” But He kept saying to go ahead and enjoy myself.
All day long I was arguing with Him about it, and when I got off the subway and was walking toward the theater, I finally said, “This doesn’t make any sense. Isn’t there something else I should be doing about my landlord?” And He answered, “You know, not trusting me is very disrespectful.” Just like that, very simple and easy – not mean in any way, just letting me know to cool it and just listen and follow His leading. I apologized and went to the theater. It was a Woody Allen play, something that I doubly had thought He wouldn’t want me doing – I love Woody Allen, but he’s not exactly the most Christian of writers and it just seemed frivolous to me to be going to see this play when I had such other pressing things to be worrying about. When the lights went down and the play started, the first words were from a woman who walks into a room and says something along the lines of, “I’m looking for God can you help me find him?” I just started to cry right there I my seat. It was another little God joke from Him to me, and even though I found it really funny, it also really touched me so deeply. He cared that much about me – and He knows how much I love plays and the theater – that He’d arrange all that just to let me know I could trust Him no matter what was going on.
It’s at times like that when we can know we’re really hearing from God. When there is something that is touched deeply inside of us with love, with joy, with healing, with laughter, with peace. If we do something that feels the opposite of those things, then we know we’re not hearing from Him. Sometimes we might have a feeling of discomfort with something that He is asking us to do, but the end result will be one of comfort. For example, when He asks me to forgive someone who has wronged me, I can fight with Him all day and I don’t want to do it, but when I finally do, I feel that peace, joy, love, healing and laughter again.

Test all things, hold on to what is good. I heard a sermon on Sunday from Times Square Church, Pastor William Carrol, who was speaking on “When Grace Makes You Wait.” Listen to it at http://www.tscnyc.org/, the 10am sermon. It was so much what I needed to hear just then, even when I saw the title, I knew that it was a message for me. I found myself weeping and laughing all through it, tears of healing and joy – and I knew that God was speaking to me. And I could hear the congregation laughing and weeping too, and that is how the Holy Spirit works, speaking to each what it is that we need to hear individually. Pastor Carrol spoke about those times in our lives when we are waiting on a promise of God – and when we feel like that promise is something that we can expect from Him because He has told us that He will do what we have asked. But then somehow something else seems to get in the way of our blessing, and it seems as if God has stopped moving toward us and is moving away in another direction. The images Pastor Carrol uses are so beautiful and powerful – I don’t want to write too much here, because it will be more helpful for you to listen for yourself, but part of the message was that in those times God has not stopped wanting to bless us, but that He wants us to walk with Him a little while to show us the needs of others so that when our blessing comes, we do not forget their need.
That is something that the Lord has been taking me through now in the work that I do, every day showing me the need of others so that I do not forget and move away from them when my own needs are met. Hearing that sermon gave me the strength to continue on with the assurance that my blessing is coming, that God will do what He has promised.

I get an email every  morning from BibleGateway.com with the New Testament from the Voice translation, and today’s was Mark 1. Verses 12-13 tell us that after Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, “the Spirit compelled Him to go into the wilderness, and there in the desert He stayed for 40 days. He was tested by Satan himself, and surrounded by wild animals; but through these trials, heavenly messengers cared for Him and ministered to Him.” When we are connected to God, when we go through our trials, those same heavenly messengers will minister to us, and we will know what words are from God by the power of His Holy Spirit who helps us test all things and hold on to what is good.

Blessings,
Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment