Thursday, August 8, 2013

Getting In Tune

When I was leaving one of the places where I was teaching yesterday, a woman who had been in one of my workshops before was sitting outside. When I said goodbye to her, she said, “You’re a really good person. Thank you for all that you do. I still have my certificate from your class and I will remember your beautiful class always. I framed my certificate and I’m keeping it in storage because I don’t want to lose it. I treasure that certificate and I treasure the memory of the beautiful class you brought to us. God bless you for thinking about us and caring to bring that kind of nutrition education to us. The work you do is important and it makes such a difference. I’m speaking from the bottom of my heart. Thank you.”

I was crying by the end of her speech. I would have been crying anyway, but the fact that the class had been taught in a shelter and this woman had been one of the quietest people in the class at the time made her words touch me in an even deeper way. She’s diabetic, and I had hoped that I had made a difference in her health by teaching her about things to do with the foods she was eating, but it’s hard to know if we’re reaching someone or not. But the power of the Holy Spirit is more powerful than we can ever be on our own, and all God asks of us is that we are willing vessels to do His work. When we do what we can with all of our hearts, He makes miracles happen. That she spoke so much and felt the need to say so much to me I knew was the power of the Holy Spirit too. Jesus said, “Truly, I tell you, whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:40) He was letting me know through this woman how much I had done for Him.
It has been a rough time for me in my life and in my job. I know there are other people who have had worse things to deal with and deal with them every day, but for me it’s been rough in my life for as long as I can remember. I’ve been blessed too and protected from much worse things – I know that and I am grateful – but it has been rough, and lately it has been even rougher in some ways although there is so much to be thankful for that I feel like I shouldn’t be saying that. But growing pains can hurt, and I know that’s what I’m going through now. God has been bringing things up so they can be dealt with and healed once and for all, and I just wish sometimes that it would all just miraculously be resolved and go away. I know the blessing is coming, I know the promises He has made He will fulfill, but going through this time of struggle when I don’t see how those promises are possible is hard to keep walking through. The words the woman said to me outside of the shelter let me know that God knows how much this time of waiting and trial has been hurting my heart and how difficult it has been for me to keep going.

One year ago the Lord spoke a word to me that was so hard to believe that I was afraid to believe it. But He spoke it so clearly and then confirmed it so many times in so many ways that I had to keep trusting Him that it was true. It seemed like it was going to happen at the beginning of this year, but then just as suddenly it stopped. And then it came back again just a few weeks ago, right in time for this anniversary, and He keeps telling me that I can count on Him to deliver on His promise. But so much seems so much in the way, and there are so many things that are happening that seem so wrong. I feel drained and exhausted by it all, and then a woman says something like the woman said to me yesterday, a woman who doesn’t normally talk too much says a long and beautiful speech that could only come from the mouth of God.
Sometimes when God answers prayer, He does it in a way that we might not recognize if we’re looking for that thing in a specific way that we want it to show up. I had a conversation with someone recently where they said all of the things that I have been wanting to hear them say, and it seemed so out of context and not in the way I’d been expecting, and I almost missed what they’d said because it wasn’t the way I’d imagined the conversation would go. It’s almost as if we need to tune out the world and its expectations – and our own – and tune into another frequency, a higher one, that tunes us into the vibrations of God’s love.

There will always be things and people who will come to distract us from hearing that higher frequency. There will always be times that it feels like there is a crushing weight smothering any possibility of life and love, but there is nothing that is more powerful than the love of God, and when we abide in Him, when we are connected to Him, we have that power available to us always. In John 15:7, Jesus makes an extraordinary promise, “If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will and it shall be done for you.” He is not speaking here about asking for selfish things, because the very act of abiding in Him and having His words abide in us makes it so that we love in the way that He loves and we will desire the things that He does. Our prayers and the things that we ask for will be in tune with His frequency, and when we get our signals crossed He is always able to bring us back to His channel.
There is a great Who song from the album “Who’s Next” called “Getting in Tune,” and when I just looked it up I found something in Wikipedia that I never knew had been written about in a critical reference of that song. In lines that are footnoted to A.G. Parker and S. Grantley’s “The Who By Numbers” from 2010, we read, “It is left ambiguous whether he is referring to a woman or a spiritual figure. The lyrics reflect the contradictions Townshend was feeling between his desire for spirituality and self-understanding against his persona as a hard-drinking hard-partying rock star.” Funny how that song came to mind now as I write this, funny how God can speak to us through the most unlikely places. “I’m singing this note ‘cause it fits in well with the way I’m feeling. There’s a symphony that I hear in your heart sets my head a reeling. But I’m in tune, right in tune. I’m in tune, and I’m gonna tune right in on you.”

If we open our hearts and our minds and our ears to the frequency that God is broadcasting at, we’ll be able to hear Him loud and clear, through all the rest of the white noise there is out in the atmosphere. And He may speak to us through a rock song, through a usually quiet woman, through a conversation we weren’t expecting to have. All we need to do is be ready and open to hear Him, because He’s speaking all the time. All we have to do is listen.
Blessings,

Jannie Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment